Advice on Band saw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. I wish to buy a bench top band saw for medium sized projects. I have in mind the
Einhell TC-SB200/1 200mm (8") 250W Bandsaw - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
or the Axminster Craft AC1400B Bandsaw.

If I was buying one at the moment I'd go for the Ferrex / Aldi one which others have already suggested and posted a link to. Apparently it's a re-badged Scheppach machine at a much lower price (and 3 year warranty). Bargain! Replace the blade with one from Tuff Saws.

I've just ordered one and posted to the forum they are now available. Peter Millard posted a reply in another thread a little while back that it's pretty good - just need to change the blade?
I’ve also ordered it, it’s my first bandsaw, and wondered if you could tell me what size blade I need to order for it, and which makes the best, many thanks for your input on here and to everyone else who contributes, you are all a breath of fresh air. 👍

I’ve also ordered it, it’s my first bandsaw, and wondered if you could tell me what size blade I need to order for it, and which makes the best, many thanks for your input on here and to everyone else who contributes, you are all a breath of fresh air. 👍

This will be my first band saw @Rustic Mike also. Limited workshop space so will have to find room 😁😂

As for blades... hopefully others will answer that question. All I can advise - if you've not already done so - is watch the YT video from 10minute workshop (@petermillard ) as he recently did one on this band saw as a one year update. I haven't got the link handy to post, sorry.

Good luck 👍

Hello all. I wish to buy a bench top band saw for medium sized projects. I have in mind the
Einhell TC-SB200/1 200mm (8") 250W Bandsaw - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
or the Axminster Craft AC1400B Bandsaw.
To my untrained eye they seem be very close in quality, functions ect, but, there is a very big difference in price. Has any one any experience of either of these 2 machines. Any other sugestions gratefully accepted but my price limit is about £250.00. (As set by she who must be obeyed. as there is other kit that I want to replace/repair/ buy new, I shall not argue)

Many thanks

Colin
Mate, go for a 14" band saw with preferably at least 750 W motor. Had the Metabo 260. Okay for small jobs, but it was a bit asthmatic when push came to shove. Had one of the Chinese 14" in Australia, and that was a very good machine, but only 550W motor, which was rather marginal when cutting Jarrah or thick planks. The cuts were fine though, but slow.

I have an Axminster HBS250N 10" "Hobby" bandsaw. It has a cast iron tiltable base, ball bearing upper and lower guides and a pretty good adjustable fence. The original mitre gauge was rubbish but I managed to find a good T-slotted replacement. I haven't used it that much in the two years that I've owned it and I do sometimes think that my jigsaw would do just as well for what I want to do. I have a very small workshop and I get fed up with continually finding the bandsaw in my way. I have never used it for resawing, so decided recently to give it a try with a 92mm deep cut in section of 4x2 softwood and a new 1/2" 4tpi blade. To my surprise it did pretty well accuracy wise. No tendency to wander either way when cutting a 6mm-ish slice which finished off very consistent. However it was slow! - Any attempt to increase the feed rate stalled the 370W motor.
I don't suppose there's much better on the current market and I'd suggest going larger if you have the budget and space.
Mine may well come up for sale some time soon...

This will be my first band saw @Rustic Mike also. Limited workshop space so will have to find room 😁😂

As for blades... hopefully others will answer that question. All I can advise - if you've not already done so - is watch the YT video from 10minute workshop (@petermillard ) as he recently did one on this band saw as a one year update. I haven't got the link handy to post, sorry.

Good luck 👍
Yes I’ve watched that it was very informative thanks for your help much appreciated

I have an Axminster HBS250N 10" "Hobby" bandsaw. It has a cast iron tiltable base, ball bearing upper and lower guides and a pretty good adjustable fence. The original mitre gauge was rubbish but I managed to find a good T-slotted replacement. I haven't used it that much in the two years that I've owned it and I do sometimes think that my jigsaw would do just as well for what I want to do. I have a very small workshop and I get fed up with continually finding the bandsaw in my way. I have never used it for resawing, so decided recently to give it a try with a 92mm deep cut in section of 4x2 softwood and a new 1/2" 4tpi blade. To my surprise it did pretty well accuracy wise. No tendency to wander either way when cutting a 6mm-ish slice which finished off very consistent. However it was slow! - Any attempt to increase the feed rate stalled the 370W motor.
I don't suppose there's much better on the current market and I'd suggest going larger if you have the budget and space.
Mine may well come up for sale some time soon...
Yeah thanks Gerihatrix
I’ve ordered it will give it a go at that price, I’m mainly use in it fo my drift wood houses and other stuff, like this so it might be okay, I’m not doing big planks
Thanks for your help on the subject.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 12
Thanks for the assistance. I decided to go for the Metabo and so far I'm happy. It seems to be easy to set up, if some what fiddley. The instructions contradict the assembly as they say certain guards ned to be in place but if they are you cant put the table on!! unless I am having an extreme senior moment. Setting up the tracking is a pain as the tyre is black, and so is the blade.
I havnt used it in anger yet, just played, but have cut sections down to 2 mm, well chuffed.

Thanks all

Colin

Latest posts

Back