Advice on Band saw purchase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grumpy brit

Reaction score
Hello all. I wish to buy a bench top band saw for medium sized projects. I have in mind the
Einhell TC-SB200/1 200mm (8") 250W Bandsaw - Machine Mart - Machine Mart
or the Axminster Craft AC1400B Bandsaw.
To my untrained eye they seem be very close in quality, functions ect, but, there is a very big difference in price. Has any one any experience of either of these 2 machines. Any other sugestions gratefully accepted but my price limit is about £250.00. (As set by she who must be obeyed. as there is other kit that I want to replace/repair/ buy new, I shall not argue)

Many thanks

Colin

Much the same but the axi has a cast iron table rather than pressed steel, I'd look for a 10" one with a cast iron table tbh second hand if needed.

Cheers James

I have the earlier model Einhell band saw, so can't talk of direct experience of the one you've linked to. But apart from the colour (mine's blue) the machine you've linked to looks (rpt LOOKS) pretty similar to mine

Based on my own Einhell, my reaction would be "stay well clear". As said by someone above, not only is the table a rather flimsy pressed "tin" thing, but the fence lock doesn't (well, not for very long anyway!) It's a tremendous trouble to get the 2 wheels to run co-planar (though it CAN be done if you have the patience of a saint!); the guides are not very good and are difficult to adjust (especially the lower guide); and if you move the table off 90 degrees, it's a big faddle to get it back square again. Apart from that (and apart from using a Tuffsaws blade plus Steve Maskery's ("Workshop Essentials") excellent CDs on band saw set up), my Einhell has been made to cut wood to a reasonable standard - eventually.

I've had my eye on either the little table top Makita or Metabo machines (Metabo linked above by someone else), and though I haven't even seen one, the current Aldi/Ferrex machine has had some good reviews here. And the Aldi not only has the 3 year guarantee but is within you budget too - the above Metabo is more expensive (at least it is in Switzerland anyway, not sure about UK) .

I know nothing about the Axminster machine you linked to above., sorry

HTH, and good luck

Last edited:
Thank you, tha
I have the earlier model Einhell band saw, so can't talk of direct experience of the one you've linked to.

But based on my own Einhell, my reaction would be "stay well clear". As said above, not only is the table flimsy pressed "tin" but the fence lock doesn't (well, not for very long anyway!) I's a tremendous trouble to get the 2 wheels to run co-planar (though it CAN be done if you have the patience of a saint!); the guides are not very good and are difficult to adjust (especially the lower guide); and if you move the table off 90 degrees, it's a big faddle to get it back square again. Apart from that (and apart from using a Tuffsaws blade plus Steve Masker'y ("Workshop Essentials") excellent CDs on band saw set up), my Einhell has been made to cut wood to a reasonable standard - eventually.

I've had my eye on either the little table top Makita or Metabo machines (Metabo linked above by someone else), and though I haven't even seen one, the current Aldi/Ferrex machine has had some good reviews here). And the Alid is within you budget too - the above Metabo is more expensive (at least it is in Switzerland anyway, not sure about UK) .

I know nothing about the Axminster machine you linked to above.

HTH, and good luck
Thank you, that's very helpful. A couple of reviews said very much the same about the Einhall, BUT, several reviews said it was the best thing since sliced bread! Just got to love site reviews.

Yeah, getting "the real dope" is often difficult, I agree. And don't forget A) the Einhell I'm talking about is not the machine you've linked to, and B) my "review", while I've tried to be accurate and unbiased, is still only based on my own opinions/experience.

Anyway, good luck mate

I have seen a scheppach basato 3 for sale for £250 on FB marketplace somewhere in Watford.

Also, tons of Elektra Beckum (metabo now, I suppose) for that sort of money on gumtree, eBay and FB.

Also seen a Startrite 351, a 12-s-1 for not much more than your budget.

I have the Axminster AC1400B (or rather the same machine they sold before they rebadged it Ax Craft) - it works fine BUT I do find the throat size very limiting and the fence is a bit hit and miss. It's my first bandsaw - if I had known then what I know now I'd have lashed out more money on a larger machine.

If you fancy a drive from West Sussex I have a proper band saw for sale. Proper machine, cast iron table, Startrite, loads of spare blades. I'm selling out of need not want or desperation and you can see my sales history on here with a bit of research. I'm a nice fella (honest! lol :unsure:) I'm in Broxbourne EN10 not far from the M25. I'll give you a fair price, might come in a touch more than 250 but I think you'll be happy and it will be fair for both parties with extras thrown in for travel etc.
I'm after selling a fair bit of stuff after a change in circumstances and would far rather sell to a ukw member than ebay it. You might pick a few bargains up mate. PM if interested. Cheers,
Chris

If you fancy a drive from West Sussex I have a proper band saw for sale. Proper machine, cast iron table, Startrite, loads of spare blades. I'm selling out of need not want or desperation and you can see my sales history on here with a bit of research. I'm a nice fella (honest! lol :unsure:) I'm in Broxbourne EN10 not far from the M25. I'll give you a fair price, might come in a touch more than 250 but I think you'll be happy and it will be fair for both parties with extras thrown in for travel etc.
I'm after selling a fair bit of stuff after a change in circumstances and would far rather sell to a ukw member than ebay it. You might pick a few bargains up mate. PM if interested. Cheers,
Chris

Table saw? Asking for a friend....!

No, sorry James. I have a guy interested in various machines I have left but he is even worse than me at sorting stuff so it's all going to go on sale one here soon either way. Can only hold on for so long.

Chris

I’d be interested — not sure I can send pms yet

If you reply more spefically maybe one or two times.... (ahem) PMs will be available.

Essex is on the border of my road btw. We might be close. I live close enough to throw rocks at them. ;)

Back