Advice on a 1/2" Router please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi

I originally bought a cheap ferm router ( 1/4"- 8mm collet) but although its been fair value for the money I need to take a step up.

I'm looking for a half decent 1/2" router that does the business but won't break the bank.

Any advice and where to buy it

Edit: Incidently, it will be used mainly in a table

Cheers :)

billzee

Hi Bilzee,

I have the Makita 3612C which is excellent, but is quite pricey at £220. I would have looked at the similarly-priced DeWalt 625EK if the new version had been out at the time, purely because of its 80mm plunge depth which would have been ideal for the table. As a cheaper option, I'm sure the Freud will get some votes - Screwfix price is £165 (I think Noely paid £140 for his):

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro ... 7&id=17864

NeilCFD

YUp Neil, 140 dabs. Just lucky, one of those days I hadn't planed on buying anything, it was the last one the guy had.
Even at 160 odd it is good value for money. Think Chris aka Waterhead37 has two.

Rgds

Noel

Freud FT2000E Router.

Yep me too

1900 Watt motor.

Variable speed 8000-22000 Rpm

70mm Plunge stroke.

With in built fine depth adjuster.

Complete with 1/4"", 1/2"" collets, template guide, spanner & micro adjustable fence

It`s the fine height adjuster that does it for me, excellent in a table

Made in Spain

frft2000e-1.jpg

I've picked up 2 1/2" routers on Ebay for under £100. My current one is the exact equivalent of the Dewalt 625EK and I paid £90 for it (MOF 177E). Great for table use with the fine height adjuster (which I got from Trend for a tenner I think). All the parts are still available so should last for a good while.
Cheers
Gidon

Thanks for the feedback :)

Looks like a watch on ebay for stated routers or when a certain person is not looking a quick finger swerve to the screwfix page ( Just got email £10 off @ screwfix Over £60 purchases) and the freud :)

cheers

billzee

read up on the Triton router, Its good using hand held with a spring and the spring can be removed for table mounting and wind up is very easy, plus it has a separate micro wind up knob.
Mine fits to a triton table but I expect the two mounting bolts will mount on other plates.

Latest posts

Back