Advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ring

Established Member
Reaction score
Morning all i am in need of some advice regarding my 19 year old daughter,she has in her wisdom taken out a mobile phone contract for one of her so called friends for £41 per month signed for in her name .Now i just found out about this last night and went ape dung with her asking her why and what on earth was she thinking about.I got the mobile phone number off her and phoned this friend up and explained that it was all wrong and i needed the phone back, all i got was a ear bashing from this girl and there is no way she is giving the phone up and your daughter knew what she was signing up for.The friend says that she is paying my daughter monthly for the phone but i'm worried that she could end up running up bills etc,So what are my options here can i go to the police solicitor what do i need to do any advice gratefully received.
Jim

Your daughter's an adult so I'm not sure there's a lot you can do, unless she maybe used your credit history without your permission.
I go to the shop where she got the contract and explain the situation.

[barrack-room lawyer mode]

If she pays in arrears, it's a credit agreement: there is a cooling-off period. If that hasn't run out already, she can most probably cancel the agreement and return the 'phone to the shop. But she'll need the phone, to return it, I expect.

But she is an adult, and has the right now to be an silly person if she so chooses.

As Pete says, assuming she now realizes the stupidity of what she's done, you might both go to the shop together.

It's the worst thing about parenthood - watching them make mistakes...

E.

I'm maybe just being too suspicious, and obviously I don't know your daughter or her behaviour at all, but my first thought is to wonder whether she really did it voluntarily, and how much of a friend this person actually is... if she was coerced into it, then it's definitely a case for the police, and I'd guess the phone would probably count as stolen at this point.

Otherwise, what reason could there be for a person who wants a phone and is willing to pay for the contract on a phone to not just go out and take the contract out themselves?

Whilst it may be regretable I'll hazard a gues that if we did a thread on, tell us your silliest mistake we'd all be up there somewhere. Yes, including me!
Just keep your fingers crossed.

Roy.

JakeS":1j57w3y0 said:
I'm maybe just being too suspicious, and obviously I don't know your daughter or her behaviour at all, but my first thought is to wonder whether she really did it voluntarily, and how much of a friend this person actually is... if she was coerced into it, then it's definitely a case for the police, and I'd guess the phone would probably count as stolen at this point.

Otherwise, what reason could there be for a person who wants a phone and is willing to pay for the contract on a phone to not just go out and take the contract out themselves?

+1

That was exactly my initial thought. Doesn't sound much like a friend if that was her response. Depends of course what your attitude was like when you spoke to her as you would understanably be a bit uptight.

Bob

Apparently my daughter in her wisdom took this phone out for her so called friend because she had bad credit,when i texted this friend and i was very nice about it may i add, i got nothing but dogs abuse,anyways the sim was blocked and the phone was blocked and the police are now involved, an expensive mistake by my daughter the friend still has the phone and refuses to give it back so will have to see what happens.Don't know what she was thinking off at the time but it,s done now. My daughter finished work at tea time and told me that this same so called friend has got a boy to take out a contract for her now !!!!
Jim

Lol i,m no hit man :D :D as long as my daughter is safe and well and has learned her lesson

Ring,

This sounds like someone with a 'bad credit History' getting someone else to take out an agreement, she can't get personally. I don't know for sure, but there might be an offence of making a false declaration, to obtain a pecuniary advantage.. And I think there's an aid and abet clause in the legislation.

http://www.addleshawgoddard.com/view.as ... nt_id=2439

In particular, look at the 'Obtaining Services by Deception '.

Could become complicated.

I hope not..

:?

Sim locked and iphone blocked as of Saturday so called friend refusing to give phone back started threatening my daughter with text messages as well, so police now dealing with.
Jim

Back