advice needed with wood finishing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chunkolini

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys, Chunkolini here, I am new to this forum. A bit of background first. I manufacture custom made media storage systems, CD, DVD racks bookshelves etc. It started off as one for me then a friend then another etc etc. Now it is a small business. To see what I am talking about have a look at www.coolshelving.com.

Up to now I have been finishing them with proprietary stain and 3 coats of Danish oil, which works well but it time consuming. Since google etc discovered my site I am getting busier and busier.

I am looking for any easy to apply finish that will dry quickly and leave a preferably silk/semigloss finish. I have seen all manner of waxes and water based varnishes that claim to be what I am looking for. A typical grouch I am always suspicious of sales speak.

What can anybody reccomend? and is there anywhere to get smallish samples from?

Thanks for your help, Regards, Chunko'

Hey Chunkolini,

Welcome to the forum.

Your link includes the full stop so it doesn't work. Here it is http://www.coolshelving.com

What about using melamine laquer? It dries very quickly (minutes), and leaves a silky sheen.

Hi Guys
Re malamine lacquer, I spotted this stuff in the Axminster catalogue, and it sounds ideal, they reckon there is some pretreatment needed. I will be using it on mainly softwood, sanded and used indoors only. What do you think?

Oh and thanks for spotting the faulty link.

Chunko'
I may well be appearing more in the near future, as I am looking to get a deeper understanding of using wood in my work.

Back