Advice needed with a routing problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikej460

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I've built a new router table with a Triton TRA001 underneath it which works very well. However, I'm trying to make a set of pair makers for 2 oak french doors in our house using two 7ft lengths of one inch wide oak moulding. The problem is that one edge of these mouldings is too deep and I am having real problems running them though a brand new Wealden beading cutter without the cutter biting in, especially the last 6 inches or so. I've done very careful multiple shallow passes but I just can't get a good finish. The problem is compounded by me having to run it through with the moulding facing down so it is a bit unstable. I've tried fastening it to a long piece of pine using double edge tape but that didn't work. The edge that runs along the fence is my only flat edge, so have to firmly press the piece against the fence whilst trying to feed it at the same time. I'm starting to think that trying to route a 7ft x 1 inch piece of oak moulding is asking too much.

Any ideas?

Use featherboards on both axis and have them a little tight so you need a little bit of effort to feed through

Featherboards and you are feeding it the right way aren't you? You're not feeding the wood in between the fence and the cutter are you? Can't you make the mouldings on a wider board and then cut it off?
It's hard to understand what you're doing without pictures

when doing a lot of fancy beading etc I always try to just work/shape the edge of a big board then once routed or even with a spindle
just cut it down to size afterwards....otherwise it all gets a bit bendy and unstable as u have found......
long in-feed and out-feed tables with somebody to help goes a long way.....
thin stuff is always a pain.....

I made loads of trim and architrave's in Oak for a client....as above......once cut to size there was often a stick in the middle that didn't get used,
call it waste......I obv used it on other jobs/projects......
I do miss my Wadkin EQ spindle and power feed.....
oh well, perhaps in the future....

@Droogs response worked, I realised that after a couple of shallow passes the width of the piece had reduced but I hadn't adjusted my feather boards. I only needed to do a simple ovolo/round on both edges and it turned out well. Thanks for the replies chaps.

IMG_20210102_152059.jpg

Back