Advice needed on matching up 2 curved pieces?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Router, long straight bit, bearing follower on bottom. Go round one end using approximate template, clamp and don't move first piece and template, move second bit gnat's bulwarks closer than bit diameter, clamp, re-rout second piece in opposite direction from first. Done; tighter than a a Scotsman's sporran. Sam

Clamp the convex end down to the bench, on edge, with a strip of sandpaper around the curve. Take the convex piece, clamp some blocks either side (to stop it from twisting out of true) and slide it back and forth on the bench, rubbing on the sandpaper. The idea being that the motion is in the thickness of the cut (which is just a straight line at 90 degrees to the surface). The high spots will wear down first. When you have sanded all along the cut, it will fit.

Or, a variant of a mitre technique might work - this is only a guess - Clamp both bits down onto a 'splint' of scrap wood, touching as close as they will. (Double sided tape or hot glue might be neater than clamps). Then run the whole thing through your scroll saw again, so you take out the width of the saw all along the curve - but it's one kerf, shared by both bits. You may need to repeat the process if the max gap is wider than your blade.

AndyT":2kql9mj2 said:
Or, a variant of a mitre technique might work - this is only a guess - Clamp both bits down onto a 'splint' of scrap wood, touching as close as they will. (Double sided tape or hot glue might be neater than clamps). Then run the whole thing through your scroll saw again, so you take out the width of the saw all along the curve - but it's one kerf, shared by both bits. You may need to repeat the process if the max gap is wider than your blade.

That is an excellent idea!!!!

I would hot glue one piece to a thin backer, with a scrap piece the same thickness next to it. Then hot glue the other finish piece on top of the scrap piece so the ends of the two finish pieces overlap slightly. Run your scroll saw through the two pieces together and you get a perfect join once removed from the scrap and backer.

Si

PeterBassett":11xlmiiu said:
I think you own a Twilight dvd and should be ashamed.

The woodwork turned out well though.

Wait for it.....

"its not mine", "somebody sneeked it into my collection" etc etc etc.

I did know that was coming! I even thought about cropping it out. Reason I didn't is because twilight has its uses! If she gets a new twilight, she will spend three nights watching it over and over! That means I get three nights, hassle free on the tools!
I got her all the books and didn't see her for 2 weeks!
NOW what have you got to say about twilight? Best story ever!

Back