Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Advice needed for drawer top.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Attached is a pic of a Shaker-style drawer I've been making. The original idea was to make the drawer front and the top out of walnut and paint everything else blue as a nice contrast. Then I found out that I didn't have as much walnut as I had thought so cue two bits of cherry. The pic shows the cherry and walnut laid out after their first rough plaining.

I reckon that I have a choice for the layout:

a. Cherry/walnut/cherry as per the pic.

b. Rip the walnut down the middle and have walnut/widish bit of cherry/walnut.

I'm tending to b. because I think that walnut as the first i.e. front element of the top might look better given the drawer front is made of walnut and cherry might be too much of a contrast. I thought I'd ask for opinions as ripping is an irreversible step.

Secondly, now that I must have contrasting woods in the top, should I stick with or abandon the blue paint idea for the rest of the construction?

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Drawer Top Apr 20 red.jpg

Attachments

Andy Kev.

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
I suppose it could be (although I'd rather not break up another board of cherry) but the drawer front would then be in complete isolation in an aesthetic sense. I like the idea of at least a bit of the top complementing the drawer. That said, I am fairly clueless at artistic things.

Steliz

Camberwell Carrot
Reaction score
I think the balance is good in a and less so in b.