Advice from the panel please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a large holly tree in my garden which may have to make way for the new workshop. There are 2 trunks from ground level starting off at approx 900mm circumference, tapering down to 800mm circ at around 2 mts high, these sections are fairly clear of side branches which start above the 2 mtr mark. What would be your preferred course of action in dealing with this timber, and would the upper sections with side branches yield any worthwhile stock ?.

The bottom would probably yield some interesting stuff for tuening

Scrit

I've got some seasoning outside,with a view to turning later.
So far,have found it very prone to shakes/splits whilst drying,but finishes very nicely if you can get it dried safely.

Andrew

save some of the small stuff for decking the halls. :D

I don't know anything about holly except that it is sometimes paired with teak for cabin soles and decks on boats. The holly is left proud of the teak to help with traction. It also looks nice in my opinion. Good luck with it.

... and remember to get rid of as much of the holly as you can and then sowing root killer too before building on it :wink:

Reason I mention this is that I had to do the same for when I built a platform for my shed. There were 3 self set trees I had to chop down and getting rid of the roots was problematic to say the least. Not enough room to get a stump grinder in so I chopped as much as possible away and bored big holes into them which I filled with root killer. I left them for a couple of months and they thankfully just rotted down.

I'm sure the woodturners hear will take away anything down to 4" diameter, it is a treat to turn but can be a bit hard to dry.

I've only dried and used small diameters 3-5" so not sure of the best method if you want to plank it for furniture, perhaps thats why it is always seen used for small decorative elements and strining.

Jason

Thanks for the replies. Neomorph, from my experience of pulling the many holly seedlings I find in the garden the root seems to be nearly as long as the surface growth. Luckily I will be able to attack it with a stump grinder.

Back