Advice for wooden bagatelle game.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calv

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm making a bagatelle game for my kids, this is what i mean for those who are'nt old enough to remember one :wink: ....

Bagatelle

I have a basic idea of how i am going to make it, but i would like help with a couple of things please.

Firstly, the holes that the ball can fall in, sometimes these are metal inlays but i can't figure out how to get these, so the alternative is to make the holes myself. Whats the best way of doing this? Big enough to fit a steel ball or a marble in.

Secondly, the thin wooden walling that goes around the side to keep the balls on the board, it looks like a strip of something, but i'm not sure what would flex enough to bend round and back on itself without snapping.

Any advice with this would be most welcome. I've almost finished a Shove Ha'penny board for them, i loved this game as a kid so i thought i'd make one myself.

Ideal for those rainy days in......and we seem to be having a few of those at the moment! :D

Thanks,

Calv.

Lot of if ands or buts there Calv.

The holes, depending on their size, could be made with Forstner bits you will get a cleaner hole especially if you are using plywood for the base, drill slowly and take your time.
The curved piece at the top, I would suggest laminating two or three thin strips of wood by using a form, the cut out of the base and the offcut could be used for this, you could of course use ash and try steam bending but then you would need to rig up a steamer.
If you do laminate be sure to make the lengths of timber longer than you will need as the ends tend to be raggety and you will need to chop them off, use plenty of glue pva and put it on both sides of the inner edges.
If you have the inclination drill tiny pilot holes for the nails after you have carefully marked their position, you'll get a better finish.

Good luck

Dom

My Grandfather made both and they are still in the family - always come out at Christmas.

He used thin laminated strips for the bagatelle just as Dom has described. From recollection probably 3 strips totalling about 5-6mm thick. Looks and works fine :)

Would be interested to see some pics of both projects :wink:

Dave

Hi Calv , Dom.

I have one of these but it is of a different design to what you are looking at. Mine is in a closed box with glass lid and the inside slopes, there is a second plate under that with screws in it that stop the ball falling through the top plate holes and lets you count the score. when all the balls have been played a lever is pulled moving the bottom plate, allowing the balls to drop through. they the run down to one corner where pushing a plunger then lifts a single ball to the firing pin. Its all wood, not sure of its age. will post pics if you want.
Think the plates are ply and just have holes cut in it for the balls to fall through.

You could cut holes in one plate and laminate a plate onto the bottom to give a flat bottom hole. not quite sue about the bending but at a guess its steam bent.

Cheers
Neil

Back