Advice for a drill capable to drill a 100mm hole 

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys. Next week I will hire a core drill to make a hole in my kitchen wall to install the ducting. Because of the style of the hood and for me to have room enough to bend the flexible round ducting, the ducting it self will be around 5 inches below the ceiling.
I wonder if there is a problem of making a hole in a double cavity wall so close to the ceiling? Will I find some sort of metal in the way of the diamond core bit or it will be just the bricks?

rpfn140378":3ahbmc5t said:
Hi guys. Next week I will hire a core drill to make a hole in my kitchen wall to install the ducting. Because of the style of the hood and for me to have room enough to bend the flexible round ducting, the ducting it self will be around 5 inches below the ceiling.
I wonder if there is a problem of making a hole in a double cavity wall so close to the ceiling? Will I find some sort of metal in the way of the diamond core bit or it will be just the bricks?

When you say "double cavity" I assume you mean single cavity. ( i.e outer wall / cavity / inner wall ).

Unless you're very close to a window or door, say within 150 - 200mm, where there will be the edge of a lintel then you should have no problem. post pics of inside and outside if you're concerned and one of us will respond.

Be aware when hiring a core drill that they will often charge for re-sharpening the cutter.

Bob

Lons":2i0mcioz said:
rpfn140378":2i0mcioz said:

When you say "double cavity" I assume you mean single cavity. ( i.e outer wall / cavity / inner wall ).

Unless you're very close to a window or door, say within 150 - 200mm, where there will be the edge of a lintel then you should have no problem. post pics of inside and outside if you're concerned and one of us will respond.

Be aware when hiring a core drill that they will often charge for re-sharpening the cutter.

Bob
Sorry,it is single cavity wall.

I had another look today. I took part of the extractor fan off and the centre of the hole will be approximately 8 inches below the ceiling. As this block of flats is a concrete block, slabs on the floors and ceilings so I hope it will be ok to drill it with the diamond core without hiting it in some piece of metal

You Should never use SDS with a diamond core bit. It breaks the teeth off. I am about to put one of these on Ebay this weekend, used once. (240 volt) Be quick if you want it and let me know. I bought it whilst away from home having forgotten my own DeWalt. It works as an ordinary drill as well as a core drill, and for DIY use will last you a lifetime.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-84...Q4rpN38GWqGnJCxcLXh!-1322819007!1364626319455

I'll accept £150 plus postage. (Probably about £10 for basic, more if insured). Still in it's case and new condition. I'll post pictures if you are interested.

If you are going through masonry you will also need these. You can hire them but they will charge you for wear as they are diamond tipped, and it makes it hardly worthwhile. Mine only last about 4-5 uses, so they won't re-sell second hand. Buy cheap ones for a one off job.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/edge-laser-welded-dry-diamond-core-107mm-x-150mm/24553

http://www.screwfix.com/p/edge-diamond-core-3-piece-dry-core-hex-adaptor-pk/41982

Grayorm":1mcwe3x7 said:
You Should never use SDS with a diamond core bit. It breaks the teeth off. I am about to put one of these on Ebay this weekend, used once. (240 volt) Be quick if you want it and let me know. I bought it whilst away from home having forgotten my own DeWalt. It works as an ordinary drill as well as a core drill, and for DIY use will last you a lifetime.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-84...Q4rpN38GWqGnJCxcLXh!-1322819007!1364626319455

I'll accept £150 plus postage. (Probably about £10 for basic, more if insured). Still in it's case and new condition. I'll post pictures if you are interested.

If you are going through masonry you will also need these. You can hire them but they will charge you for wear as they are diamond tipped, and it makes it hardly worthwhile. Mine only last about 4-5 uses, so they won't re-sell second hand. Buy cheap ones for a one off job.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/edge-laser-welded-dry-diamond-core-107mm-x-150mm/24553

http://www.screwfix.com/p/edge-diamond-core-3-piece-dry-core-hex-adaptor-pk/41982
Initially I was thinking to use my own sds drill, but I still need to buy the diamond core. Because it will be mainly one off use it will be siting in the garage. Also my drill isn't really appropriate drill to do it, it could do it but I could damage it. So I decided to hire a drill instead, which comes the core drill and diamond cores, a good diamond core bit is well over £50 so for that money a hire the whole kit for the day

http://www.screwfix.com/p/edge-diamond-core-3-piece-dry-core-hex-adaptor-pk/41982[/quote]
Initially I was thinking to use my own sds drill, but I still need to buy the diamond core. Because it will be mainly one off use it will be siting in the garage. Also my drill isn't really appropriate drill to do it, it could do it but I could damage it. So I decided to hire a drill instead, which comes the core drill and diamond cores, a good diamond core bit is well over £50 so for that money a hire the whole kit for the day[/quote]

OK Good luck with it, thanks for getting back. Be careful to keep the drill straight as allowing it to drop will make the sides of the core bit bind and slow down the drill.

It's also a good idea to make sure you have a safe standing area, preferably not balancing. If the drill grips in the hole it has a lot of torque and can snatch. That's what the clutch is for but it can still give you a jolt and if you are not standing on something solid can end in disaster.

Just take your time.

Grayorm":2kiowtdq said:

Thanks for your advice. I fitted the kitchen a few months ago so the whole kitchen is in place already. I'm making a good area for me and a friend to stand in it. We will go easy as I know these machines have lots of torque, that's why will be two of us holding the drill, in case the bit jams and the clutch doesn't kick in, is better two of us holding it than just me flying way

Graham is absolutely right about the diamond drill. The hammer action of the sds does it no good at all...however... you definitely don't need to spend a load of hard earned on the core drill bit if you have an sds.

I've posted previously - I use cheap tungsten tipped core drills which I buy from the general wholesaler JTF but they are the same that you can buy from the cheapie shops and Yorkshire trading. They've gone up in price but are still under a tenner for 100mm and another fiver for a shaft extension which is usefull to drill right through a 300mm cavity wall. These last me for dozens of holes. I have 3 different sizes and 2 interchangeable extensions. Never so much as a broken tip and this is what I do for a living. If it didn't work, I wouldn't use it as my time is money!

By coincidence, I'm fitting out an en-suite for a neighbour and have today drilled a 50mm hole for a waste pipe through 150mm of very hard concrete floor and on through concrete Bradstone building block cavity wall. Slow but no problem.
I also need to drill a 100mm hole through the Bradstone / cavity / conc block and my Dewalt sds and core drill bit will handle it without issue. below are pics of the 100mm - ext fitted and normal shaft alongside.

Bob
1-4_zps1183c72f.jpg

2-4_zps6df85c73.jpg

Lons":frf098mv said:
Graham is absolutely right about the diamond drill. The hammer action of the sds does it no good at all...however... you definitely don't need to spend a load of hard earned on the core drill bit if you have an sds.

I've posted previously - I use cheap tungsten tipped core drills which I buy from the general wholesaler JTF but they are the same that you can buy from the cheapie shops and Yorkshire trading. They've gone up in price but are still under a tenner for 100mm and another fiver for a shaft extension which is usefull to drill right through a 300mm cavity wall. These last me for dozens of holes. I have 3 different sizes and 2 interchangeable extensions. Never so much as a broken tip and this is what I do for a living. If it didn't work, I wouldn't use it as my time is money!

By coincidence, I'm fitting out an en-suite for a neighbour and have today drilled a 50mm hole for a waste pipe through 150mm of very hard concrete floor and on through concrete Bradstone building block cavity wall. Slow but no problem.
I also need to drill a 100mm hole through the Bradstone / cavity / conc block and my Dewalt sds and core drill bit will handle it without issue. below are pics of the 100mm - ext fitted and normal shaft alongside.

Bob
1-4_zps1183c72f.jpg

2-4_zps6df85c73.jpg

Bob is there a website for JTF?

Hi guys.
I was reading the whole topic and I realised that I didn't tell you that I bought a drill, hitachi DH24PC3 and I'm really pleased with it. This drill makes holes through the walls like you are drilling a piece of polystyrene.
And at a good price. I bought it at FFX Tools.
Tomorrow is the big day to drill the hole in my kitchen's wall.

I used a titan sds drill from screwfix, (£90 including some sds chisels and drill bits, which are so good I've been using them for other jobs) and a diamond core drill to drill a 127mm hole through 150mm of brick for my extractor. I got the drill off Amazon advertised as second hand for £14 but when it arrived it was like new. It took the best part of an hour (slowest speed, no hammer settings) and I had to stop every 15 minutes or so to let my arms recover as its heavy. The clutch saved me a couple of times but on the whole it was a lot easier than I was expecting.
I've used the drill for a couple of other jobs (channelling and chiselling out some bricks) and its standing up to the punishment. I nearly took it back as the chuck is broken, but it doesn't affect operation. Just makes changing bits a bit of a pain (they are still held secure)
As an aside - I heard someone bringing one back for the same problem last time I was in the shop.
Chris

Hi all
The hole is done. It took us almost an hour and a half to drill it, inner wall was too hard. I found the clutch of the drill too sensitive because at half way in we couldn’t put too much strength on the drill otherwise it was stopping all the time, we really had to go really easy.
Putting the gravity flaps vent was easy bearing in mind that I live in the first floor and I didn’t use any ladders or tower.
Thanks guys for all your advice

cjc101":1wm5e6v2 said:
I used a titan sds drill from screwfix, (£90 including some sds chisels and drill bits, which are so good I've been using them for other jobs) and a diamond core drill to drill a 127mm hole through 150mm of brick for my extractor. I got the drill off Amazon advertised as second hand for £14 but when it arrived it was like new. It took the best part of an hour (slowest speed, no hammer settings) and I had to stop every 15 minutes or so to let my arms recover as its heavy. The clutch saved me a couple of times but on the whole it was a lot easier than I was expecting.
I've used the drill for a couple of other jobs (channelling and chiselling out some bricks) and its standing up to the punishment. I nearly took it back as the chuck is broken, but it doesn't affect operation. Just makes changing bits a bit of a pain (they are still held secure)
As an aside - I heard someone bringing one back for the same problem last time I was in the shop.
Chris
Sorry if I’m understanding wrong, did you buy a diamond core drill off the amazon for £14?

Someone mentioned the merits of hiring versus buying. Remember if hiring that the drill is not the only kit you'll need to hire. You'll be charged for hire of the core bit and for the transformer (hire tools are usually 110volt), then of course you pay the best part of all - the VAT. So it really can mount up, and when you return it all (another journey - fuel costs) what you have left is - nothing (except the job is done).
This is all very well if the item you are hiring is either so expensive that buying is out of the question, or specialized so that you'd be unlikely to use it again if you did buy.

I had to cut a 12" wide 12 foot long slot out of ready mix concrete in my driveway. A 9" angle grinder did the cutting, with a diamond disc. I bought a quick-fit nut to hold the disc on because they have a built in clutch. The dust was something else!! To break up the concrete I bought a Ryobi hammer for about £30 off ebay, and spent about £15 on a chisel. I wanted a decent size Bosch or Makita with roto stop but they all went so expensive, and I already have a decent hammer drill so couldn't really justify the extra. However the Ryobi did the job, and of course I still have it so it will do the next job as well - yes, I have to cut another slot. Great, can't wait.

I think the only thing I've hired in years is a hardcore compacter. That was worth the cost, definitely.

K

graduate_owner":2epa3y3o said:
Someone mentioned the merits of hiring versus buying. Remember if hiring that the drill is not the only kit you'll need to hire. You'll be charged for hire of the core bit and for the transformer (hire tools are usually 110volt), then of course you pay the best part of all - the VAT. So it really can mount up, and when you return it all (another journey - fuel costs) what you have left is - nothing (except the job is done).
This is all very well if the item you are hiring is either so expensive that buying is out of the question, or specialized so that you'd be unlikely to use it again if you did buy.

I had to cut a 12" wide 12 foot long slot out of ready mix concrete in my driveway. A 9" angle grinder did the cutting, with a diamond disc. I bought a quick-fit nut to hold the disc on because they have a built in clutch. The dust was something else!! To break up the concrete I bought a Ryobi hammer for about £30 off ebay, and spent about £15 on a chisel. I wanted a decent size Bosch or Makita with roto stop but they all went so expensive, and I already have a decent hammer drill so couldn't really justify the extra. However the Ryobi did the job, and of course I still have it so it will do the next job as well - yes, I have to cut another slot. Great, can't wait.

I think the only thing I've hired in years is a hardcore compacter. That was worth the cost, definitely.

K
Well, I didn’t pay anything for the transformer, the guy over the counter tried to give me a 240volts drill but I ended up with an 110volts one.

The core drills are still a bit expensive for the second hand and I have my doubts about how good they are as the second hand, the most important feature in this kind of drills is the clutch, if I buy a second hand one with a broken clutch and the core bit jams then I will spin and have a broken wrist and I don’t think that is funny.

The whole kit as new is too expensive to be staying in the garage as I don’t do this for living. Apart from core drills I buy pretty much everything because I always end up using the tools. I was surprised to see a trades man at HSS hiring a cordless bosch drill, when I left HSS I checked the catalogue and what he paid was enough to buy a cheap drill and at least you got it for forever or at least until it breaks down.

graduate_owner":3ko09ofu said:

K

I agree with that 100%.

pretty much the only hire equipment I use these days are small jcbs and the occasional dumper truck. I actually bought an ex hire whacker (compactor) a few years ago for £200 and I add a small "hire charge" into all my quotes (as I do for cement mixer etc.) They have paid for themselves many times over.

Just an example: I'm busy fitting 600 x 300 x 10mm wall and ceiling tiles. Neither my very expensive Rubi tile cutter or my wet saw will quite fit and to hire a capable saw for 1 day is a ridiculous £72 plus 30 miles of fuel. I can buy a saw s/h for about the same price. I can't wait so have found another way but a no brainer really.

Any business should incorporate a service and replacement tools and equipment cost either as a % or part of their overheads though of course it's different for DIY stuff.

Bob

Back