Advice about material for leatherworking pricking iron

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrspach

Established Member
Reaction score
Please can you advise what would be probably useful material to use for this tool. I am not tool maker I just like to make tools as in old pre robot and computer days. I had information about Dixons making it from a mild steel but after trying to make it from normal construction steel I had small off cut in the garage the result was horrendous. Too soft to have any meaningful use of it. If you can point me towards reasonable supplier of such material would be useful. I am adding link for part of the process. Thank you

Any high carbon steel.

Bog stand steel isnt the same.

Last one i made was an old chisel that i tempered with a mapp gas torch the heat treated.

If you're purchasing from a supplier or eBay, grade EN8/C45/1045 carbon steel will do what you want, if you:

- Shape it to approximately the right shape,

- Harden it by heating with a blow torch to cherry red, then quenching in cold cooking oil (beware there will be smoke and/or flame),

- Temper by leaving in the oven at about 200C/Gas 6 for around 30-40mins per ½" thickness and air cooling to room temperature.

- Grind/stone to final shape.

Using a tool steel like O1 would be better in terms of hardness and maintaining an edge but given its a tool for use in leather, is probably overkill.

Latest posts

Back