Adverts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blockplane":3r9lnvex said:
The downside of blocking is that it is the ads which pay most of the cost of keeping UKW running

If the ads were even remotely related to woodworking, I would gladly whitelist UKW. I whitelist other sites where the ads are related to the topic and have clicked on the ads that interest me. Sadly, this is not the case for UKW.

Blockplane":28v45s7e said:
The downside of blocking is that it is the ads which pay most of the cost of keeping UKW running

I offered to chip in if we could not have the ads. Hey ho, Adblock plus it is.

I wonder how much it actually costs to keep UKW running :-k

Seems the owner has been pretty hands-off for over a decade now unless it's really important site-related stuff, so I guess we're lucky he's bothering to keep it up at all.

I've known other forums that have bought out the originator and promised to keep the same format and it has worked successfully (although I think everybody agrees this site does need updating). I believe the annual cost is not a stupidly large sum and could be shared between a few (or several) members.
One in particular addressed the ads topic by having free membership but you put up with the ads, or you pay annually to be ad free, with a third category where you pay more again but could post full size pictures easily. Again, not silly money, it was about 20 quid one payment every year. If you didnt pay, you just went back to the free but with ads.

Personally speaking I don't mind the ads at all - mostly I just ignore them as "white noise" on the page/s.

But I realise that not everyone feels the same way about this. IMO the (for me) very small ad "nuisance" is more than repaid by the overall Forum content and knowledgeable helpfulness of the members.

But I wouldn't mind paying a small (annual?) fee for membership either. I think the biggest problem is that as the owner plays virtually no part whatever in running the Forum these days, who (and how?) does "someone" contact the present owner to institute such change/s?

I suspect that the above is the main reason why, apart from the infrequent software changes (something along the lines of no. 19 on the Richter scale last time! Remember?) the above is why the Forum just jogs along pretty much as it is now -& very successfully IMO - every day.

If it ain’t broken don’t fix it :)

Suspect that a membership fee would put off a lot of people and as such dilute the wealth of knowledge available. Also, charging a fee adds another level of admin headache and what do you do about the profit or loss?

We could always move to Facebook (not!)

That murphy ladder is probably the best ad I have seen in years

Its not exactly broke, but a couple of wheel bearings are squealing and the engine needs a million mile service. :lol: :lol: 8)

Just ignore the ads - it's really not difficult when you are getting so much for free. If you don't think it's worth it, then don't log in.

We aren't getting so much for free. As they say, if you aren't paying, it's because you are the product. We provide the content, that attracts the viewers to the adverts. Without our posts, no advertising revenue.

And I block them rather than ignore them because they are not just distracting they are a waste of bandwidth.

Back