Adverts in Google Chrome. Can I stop them?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Since installing Google chrome, I am finding words in some of the posts, highlighted. Thinking the poster has included these links, I click on them and a page of adverts opens up. Is this malware? Or is it a function in Google Chrome that I can disable? If so does anyone know how? Otherwise Google Chrome gets the boot, and I'll tolerate the slower Mozilla.

PS. It seems to be something called 'Text Enhance'. Didn't notice being asked about it on install.

Thanks in anticipation

Benchwayze":m70oo8f7 said:
Since installing Google chrome, I am finding words in some of the posts, highlighted. Thinking the poster has included these links, I click on them and a page of adverts opens up. Is this malware? Or is it a function in Google Chrome that I can disable? If so does anyone know how? Otherwise Google Chrome gets the boot, and I'll tolerate the slower Mozilla.

It's not a Chrome feature. Do you have any of the various third-party (or even the Google) toolbars installed? I wouldn't trust any of them not to be doing something like that. Otherwise, probably malware. If you don't count those toolbars as malware already...

(You can see what extensions you have installed by clicking on the spanner - in the top right on mine - and choose 'Settings', then select 'Extensions' on the right. I'd suggest turning them all off, and seeing if you still get the ads. If no, turn them on one by one until you find the culprit.) If you do, it's probably something else on your machine.)

JakeS":w2y2vac0 said:
Benchwayze":w2y2vac0 said:

It's not a Chrome feature. Do you have any of the various third-party (or even the Google) toolbars installed? I wouldn't trust any of them not to be doing something like that. Otherwise, probably malware. If you don't count those toolbars as malware already...

I do Jake... Absolutely. They pineapple me off!
I'll set my AntiVirus on it first. If no go, I'll exlcude the cookies on my list

Many Thanks.
:)

Thanks fellas.
I uninstalled Google Chrome and the problem has gone.

Strange eh? Seeing as they 'Boogled-up' YouTube with adverts and 'new look' pages that you can't navigate to send messages to pals.. I am not surprised. :mrgreen:

I've ditched Chrome and I no longer use Google as a search engine.
I won't bore peeps with the why, a search on the t'web about some of their policies and activities reveals a lot.

I got malware like you describe once. I was looking at information on Barn Owl distribution in the UK. There was a link to Barn Owl population Analysis. So I clicked on it.

I'll let your imagination tell you where it led...took me hours to navigate my way out of that site!!

I have installed adblock, but I note that as soon as I disable it, the malware is back again. This means that it's still on my PC, but just blocked as long as adblock is enabled. I've tried four different malware programs but they won't shift it.
It's pineappling me off again!

Chrome can go, and I haven't used Google search ever, as I think it is kr@p compared to Yahoo.

None of the websites seem to concur wit the version of Mozilla I have, as the buttons don't relate to anything they mention. Guess I will put up with the slower Mozilla after all.

Thanks folks.
Appreciated. :D

I use Chrome but I've never seen that on mine John.

PS Have you had a play with those Festool guides yet ?

Try downloading and running something called HiJackThis - it tells you what's resident in memory and running - BHO (Browser Helper Objects) are likely to be what is causing this. Once identified - dead easy to remove them.

HIH

Dibs

Latest posts

Back