• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Adventures in metalwork and machine restoration!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TFrench

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2015
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
264
Location
Leics
Been busy with lots of stuff recently, but thought this one was worth sharing. Right back at the start of this thread (2018) I posted about a workshop of a farmer friend I'd bought. I got most of the machines out with a tractor, but there were still two big table saws. Since then, we've had a pandemic, the owner's alzheimers deteriorated and he passed away and every time I've cleared a space at work to bring them back, something else came along to fill it. Last weekend I finally recovered the first, a Sagar LT. It's basically Sagars version of a wadkin PK - sliding table, 18" blade, heavier than depleted uranium, that sort of thing. Went very smoothly - pallet truck to the trailer, then winched it straight in. No drama.
Sagar

Seeing it in the trailer gives some scale as to just how monstrous it is. The green T shaped casting is the outrigger leg for the sliding table extension.
Sagar

A LOT of hooving, cleaning and wire wheeling and here we are:
Sagar

Sagar

Sagar

Mechanically it all works - table slides, blade goes up and down and tilts, she spins up and runs forever when you turn it off - the bearings are amazing! Its actually in really good shape - even the original switchgear which is pretty unusual these days. I'm getting some copies cast of the sagar badge and spanner rack, which I thought was super cool, the moment I saw it. Nice to have saved it from the scrap man anyway. Next up is the wadkin BGP panel saw, which is probably an even heavier lump to get out.
 

TFrench

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2015
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
264
Location
Leics
As I mentioned in deema's Jones & Shipman 540 thread, I've just bought another new machine. I've wanted a 540 for ever as the little manual Herbert surface grinder we had was just a bit too small to do anything on. The footprint isn't much more and the capacity is nearly double - plus it's fully automatic. Bit of an eBay gamble, but it looked ok from the pictures (I know that doesn't mean much!) Took a trip down to Buckingham to collect it just before Christmas. Luckily I'd researched how to lift them, and taken my own lifting strops or I'd have struggled to get it in my van.
First picture is it coming out back at our yard. Don't look too closely at the rigging, it was only to get it out and sat on the floor!
2nd is once I'd got it screwed to some bearers so I can move it around easily with a pallet truck.
3rd pic is after a couple of hours spent cleaning it up. Clutch cleaner and fine scotchbrite are a pretty unbeatable combination, along with a Stanley blade scraper for the thick stuff and rusty bits.
4th is the pump chain - this is adjusted to maximum. Should be 5mm slack there. It was so loose I took it off the cogs without moving anything. I'm probably just going to take a couple of links out and put it back together.
Last pic is the motor and pump all cleaned up, ready to go back in.

The aim is just to get it serviced and back to working order, hopefully before we're back from the Christmas break. I've got too many machines in pieces already to start another full rebuild! I've had it running before I pulled the hydraulics and everything works. So far the obvious problems are the missing wheel guard, chain needs shortening a couple of links and I think the hydraulic cylinder will need new seals as it's leaking a bit. I can make up a dust extraction nozzle and connect it to the fine dust extraction I have on another grinding machine. Should save me some space.
 

Attachments

TFrench

Established Member
Joined
6 Jul 2015
Messages
1,471
Reaction score
264
Location
Leics
Second day on the grinder. Took 2 links out of the chain and it fits perfectly. Put the tank and cover back together and buttoned the bottom end up. I'll fill it with oil when I get it sited and levelled, no point sloshing oil all over the place when we move it. Then made a couple of t-nuts and lifted the table off while it was underneath the hoist. Gave everything a good clean and put back together. I've not dived into the saddle as it seems ok and I really want to run the machine to see how far I need to go with it.
Next I think I need to check the spindle oil and adjustment, but it's nearly ready to go.
 

Attachments

Top