Quantcast
  • We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Adventures in metalwork and machine restoration!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Really closing in on the hardinge now - today I fixed the oil leak on the apron, which should mean it's mechanically good to go. Couple of bits left to paint but nothing that will keep it from working. Fingers crossed I'll be making chips on it tomorrow!

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I've made a couple of parts in the hardinge now. Its incredible how accurate it is. Bit of a revelation compared to the Harrison😂 I will get some proper "finished" pictures when I clean up the swarf from the last job.
Already got the next patient in the surgery - the excel die filing machine. Should be much easier than the lathe, mainly a derusting and painting exercise. Of course that comment will probably come back to bite me! It's mainly stripped down to components now, and I've got the base section cleaned up and ready for paint. Once that's done I can begin to assemble it as I get bits completed.

Attachments

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Pictures of the completed hardinge restoration. It's not 100% yet, but it's definitely usable. The main thing mechanically I need to finish is the flood coolant system - just a case of piping it up, the tank and pump are all clean and work fine. In the future I want to add a DRO, but that's not the easiest on a Hardinge. Because I have a taper attachment (pic 4) the scale has to be mounted on the front of the bed. It's taken about a year to get it done, but I'm so happy with the result. I bored a piece the other day and hit my diameter to the thousandth, first time.

Attachments

Jelly

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm so happy with the result. I bored a piece the other day and hit my diameter to the thousandth, first time.
You damn well should be as well! It's turned out beautifully.

That level of performance makes me more than a bit envious though, I spent ages building a gun-drilling attachment to make a couple of precise deep holes when all I needed was a lathe with some real rigidity to it!

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Having watched a lot of youtube the method of using equal cuts to keep tool pressure the same certainly pays off! Being able to hold work in collets is fantastic as well.

In other news, work on the die filing machine is pressing on. Got the base primed and a first coat of colour on it. The amount of fiddly little bits I have to paint to get this one finished is a bit daunting! Tested the motor and it's all good and rebuilt the air blower with new bearings.

Attachments

KingAether

Eternal noob
Reaction score
Ive just been through and admired the whole thread; some great work and some lovely machines! That union grinder is a beauty.
Do you restore to use or is it your business buying and restoring?

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive just been through and admired the whole thread; some great work and some lovely machines! That union grinder is a beauty.
Do you restore to use or is it your business buying and restoring?
Thanks, appreciate it! Generally I restore stuff to use. If it's to sell I just clean it and get it working. Occasionally I'll sell a restored one if I get a better model. The grinder went last year when I got the belt linisher.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
A while ago I got a small RJH ferret/trimtool tool grinder as part of a trade with a mate. Only snag - it had no wheel. I spent ages trawling through grinding wheel suppliers to try to find a suitable one, but it seems no one makes what I needed. Next option was to get a 6" diamond cup wheel from arceurotrade and modify it to suit. Finally a use for the starrett 196 indicator set - couldn't get a standard indicator close enough to work, this was perfect for the job! All done, mounted on an offcut of worktop and donated to my old man (that's his birthday sorted this year!)

Attachments

MusicMan

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Another pleasure to read. Harrison lathes are very good, but Hardinge are REALLY good. At Warwick Uni we used a Hardinge for precision machining research because of the quality of its bearings.

Can't wait for the end of lockdown to come and drool over your machines, Tom!

delaney001

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally, the horizontal bandsaw was looking really sad and it wasn't cutting remotely near 90°. The coolant system was gross and silted up, the guide bearings were knackered and the blade had less teeth than the queen mother. Basically it looked exactly like we'd rescued it from a skip 20 years ago... which is exactly what happened.
Bandsaw before
All new guide bearings, new coolant line, rewired most of it, good clean, fresh blade and its awesome! I really should have done it a long time ago.
Bandsaw finished

TF, could I be a pain in the backside and ask for your help. I’m half way through restoring this exact machine at home and there’s no motor nor pulley for the gearbox. Would there be any chance you tell me what the largest diameter is of each pulley, or are they both the same size with one inverted?

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
TF, could I be a pain in the backside and ask for your help. I’m half way through restoring this exact machine at home and there’s no motor nor pulley for the gearbox. Would there be any chance you tell me what the largest diameter is of each pulley, or are they both the same size with one inverted?
I'll try and remember to check next time I'm in the workshop - PM me and remind me if I forget!

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on the lookout for a wadkin BGS table saw for a very long time. It's got all the features I want, without being the massive dead weight of a PK. They seem to go for silly money, or are dog rough whenever I spot them. Anyway, one popped up on ebay close to me (caught it within 10 minutes of it being listed!) for a buy it now price that was less than the littlest craft saw that axi sell. Its practically mint - came with all the fences and mitre attachments, as well as an extension table. I bought an axminster mobile base and fitted it. Made unloading it into my workshop a breeze!
Bgs12

The extension table and long bars were a little too big for my workshop so I've cut the bars down and left the table off. I've faced and bored the ends of them and I will make a joining piece so I can put it back together should I ever need to. You can just see in the picture I milled flats either side of the cut. That was the best way I could come up with to be able to measure what material I'd removed so I can make a spacer so all the mounting holes line back up. We'll see if it works when I make them!
Bgs 12 fence

Finally I've managed to gather up the parts I was missing for the metal shaper (mainly the box table and a correct vice). Had a quick look today and the table is correct externally, just the big hole in the middle is still a rough casting. I'm pretty sure its from a plain machine without the tilting table. When it gets its turn in the surgery I'll have to bore it to size.
Shaper parts

Latest posts