Quantcast

Adventures in metalwork and machine restoration!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see that come together mate! What happened with the morticer they dropped?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Been making lots of progress on lots of different workshop projects recently. Had a big shuffle round and got the hardinge moved into it's forever home up the "machining end". It's not finished yet, but I shouldn't need to do anything major to it (famous last words) that will require the forklift.... Didn't get a pic as nothings really changed apart from the background. Main reason for the big shuffle was getting a new press brake. It replaces a 4ft manual folder and will let us work much thicker material - 3mm aluminium was really pushing it with the old one - this one doesn't even notice it.
promecam
I just need to work out the archaic control system so I can move the backstop!

Ages ago when I plasma cut the big sawblade I mentioned a plan for dealing with fumes and smoke - finally got around to doing it. I got this plymovent extraction fan and arm in an auction last year. Bit of scrapyard engineering for the motor bracket and we're nearly there. Needs power and a duct punching out through the end wall and thats finished.
plymovent

Finally, the horizontal bandsaw was looking really sad and it wasn't cutting remotely near 90°. The coolant system was gross and silted up, the guide bearings were knackered and the blade had less teeth than the queen mother. Basically it looked exactly like we'd rescued it from a skip 20 years ago... which is exactly what happened.
Bandsaw before
All new guide bearings, new coolant line, rewired most of it, good clean, fresh blade and its awesome! I really should have done it a long time ago.
Bandsaw finished

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
TFrench":2gzc573g said:
Can't wait to see that come together mate! What happened with the morticer they dropped?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
They've offered my purchase cost back and I get to keep the machine which sounds good but it was worth way more than I payed. It might be salvageable

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
At least you won't lose money on it! Still infuriating.

This weeks addition to the workshop:
linisher
Not sure why people put stuff on ebay with terrible pictures and descriptions, but I'm glad they do :lol: I think its the newest thing I've ever bought machine-wise. All I've done is cleaned it and added the castors.
Pretty much all the work I do with my pedestal grinder is wire wheeling rusty tat. This should make much less mess, with the added benefit of giving me a linishing belt. I think I'm going to add a platen to it as well, just to give a little more verstility. The motor is mounted very far forward on the extractor, which made it a bit unstable on the wheels. I butchered up some bits of box section to mount my old bench grinder to the big open space at the back, which not only makes me bench space, but adds ballast! I'll hopefully even be able to connect the dust ports into the extraction. Fancy.

linisher grinder

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Finished another part of the hardinge restoration - the original storage in the cabinet was awful. You could fit about 20 collets in two little semi circle holders that swung out. I felt a little bad cutting them off, but the new ones are much more practical! Inspired by Chris Vesper of Vespertools and his immaculate Hardinge clone I made these phenolic ply trays and fabricated brackets for the full extension drawer runners. I have one more to fit at the bottom that'll hold the chucks and changegears.
5 C collet storage

And another cool little machine has joined the restoration queue:
Die Filing Machine
An excel no.2 Die filing machine. Most of the filing machines I've seen are benchtop sized. The guy had an even bigger one but they'd lost the table for it. Farmers.... (hammer) The rust isn't as bad as it looks - it moves freely so I'm hoping it will mainly be a clean up job...

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
TFrench":265vrgfv said:
And another cool little machine has joined the restoration queue:

An excel no.2 Die filing machine. Most of the filing machines I've seen are benchtop sized. The guy had an even bigger one but they'd lost the table for it. Farmers.... (hammer) The rust isn't as bad as it looks - it moves freely so I'm hoping it will mainly be a clean up job...
Ooo! You don't see many die filers about! Can it take hacksaw blades with the overarm? I've seen a couple that could be used as a saw as well as a filer which would make it a pretty precise cutting tool in steady hands I would imagine.

TFrench

Established Member
Reaction score
Making steady progress on the Hardinge, nothing really photo worthy yet - but its getting there. I did do a small job for a forum member the other week which turned out pretty well. First up was turning this pin:
adapter pin
I've no idea what metal it was - an old shaft of some kind that was the perfect size. Couldn't get a chip to break no matter what I did - fast, slow, deep and shallow cuts and every combination in between. Whatever I did it came off in horrendous long springy chips.

Next was rescuing the original stock:
original hole
The hole was very irregular so I plunged a long endmill through it to bring it back into line, then drilled and reamed to final size. Also drilled and tapped for the lock screws.

Finished article:
finished job

hawkeyefxr

Established Member
Reaction score
In the mid 60's i was doing my apprenticeship and City & Guilds. Part of it included setting up a lathe to make sure the bed was true and it turned to perfection, we were on that for about a total of one day in total........................you blew that to dung ( i didn't write dung i used the right word) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D