Advantages of a Sliding table saw vs Standard Table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prizen

Established Member
Reaction score
Besides easier ripping of sheet goods, what are the advantages of the Felder and Minimax style Sliding table saws versus standard table saws? Anyone who has one seems to love it

easier to get things on to it and for it to be supported safely. Less effort to move the piece being cut and I feel safer using one rather than a cabinet saw.

You can do crosscuts safely without a sled.
And you can put a straight cut anywhere in the board as you are not reliant on referencing the edge of the board against the fence, so you can trim waney edge stuff square safely.

Ollie

Felder have a few videos on youtube.
They include "how to" videos on making a timber hot tub etc.
Watch a couple of those and you'll see how a slider can help.

Besides easier ripping of sheet goods, what are the advantages of the Felder and Minimax style Sliding table saws versus standard table saws? Anyone who has one seems to love it

the sliding table runs about 2mm from the sawblade, so that enables super accurate cuts.

Apart from panel sizing, the sliding table, with simple jigs can be used to make all sorts of complex cuts with repeatable accuracy.

I used to use a panel saw for doing the compound and straight angled cuts on roof lantern Jack rafters, common rafters, hips - perfect accuracy every time.

I was really surprised at how useful my sliding table was when I first got it (Minimax Lab 300) and wouldn't be without it.
Basically it carries things past the blade but without reference to the fence. They can be clamped on the table so you can do funny cuts safely, as well as helping with all normal operations.
The longer the better - you could pass huge joists lengthways over the saw, accurately and without effort!

Last edited:
Use the sliding table on my Felder all the time, straight edging waney edge boards this morning up against the shoe.
IMG_1929.jpeg

Use the sliding table on my Felder all the time, straight edging waney edge boards this morning up against the shoe.
View attachment 124490
I only crosscut or cut panel material on mine, and for which the scorer blade keeps the underside cut good. Can't be faffed to keep changing the blade over so I use Sedgewick ripsaw for rip cuts.

I think there are two types of slider, both with slightly different considerations. What I call the traditional slider has a table, usually cast iron, that is not adjacent to the blade. The modern slider or panel saw usually has an aluminium table that slides against the blade.

The traditional slider allows the use of zero clearance table inserts to be used, vital for producing very thin stuff or wedges for tenons as examples. A zero clearance also reduces tear out. However, there is drag of the cut stuff that is mounted on the slider on the fixed table. This can cause inaccurate cuts if not held / clamped. Equally the slider is normal set a fraction higher than the fixed table to reduce the drag.
A panel saw is optimised for cutting panels, usually having a scribing blade to eliminate tear out. However, for traditional ripping the two materials aluminium and cast iron wear at different rates, aluminium usually wearing faster. They go out of flat faster and usually take up a lot more space than a traditional slider.
There are saws that don’t fit in either category I know, but I hope it’s a generic summary of the two, such as some of the Wadkin’s

I think there are two types of slider, both with slightly different considerations. What I call the traditional slider has a table, usually cast iron, that is not adjacent to the blade. The modern slider or panel saw usually has an aluminium table that slides against the blade.

The traditional slider allows the use of zero clearance table inserts to be used, vital for producing very thin stuff or wedges for tenons as examples. A zero clearance also reduces tear out. However, there is drag of the cut stuff that is mounted on the slider on the fixed table. This can cause inaccurate cuts if not held / clamped. Equally the slider is normal set a fraction higher than the fixed table to reduce the drag.
A panel saw is optimised for cutting panels, usually having a scribing blade to eliminate tear out. However, for traditional ripping the two materials aluminium and cast iron wear at different rates, aluminium usually wearing faster. They go out of flat faster and usually take up a lot more space than a traditional slider.
There are saws that don’t fit in either category I know, but I hope it’s a generic summary of the two, such as some of the Wadkin’s
My ali slider is easily adjustable in all directions - basically the whole unit stands on four studs easily adjusted.
Also has bolt-on extension side table supported on a hinged cantilevered arm.
Can extend its capacity by having a suitable height bench near enough so that one end of an 8x4 sits on the bench and the other on the sliding table. Looking at having a low friction bearer on the bench to make it work better.
What I haven't worked out is how to cut the whole length of an 8x4, as the slider is only long enough for about a 2m cut, but I'm working on it. Can be pushed through but doesn't get the accuracy of being clamped to the slider.

I have as my own a saw a SCM Si15 which has a 50” slide on it. When I cut lots of sheet I place a piece of sheet on the table with a strip of hardwood attached underneath it to sit in the sliding table slot, the strip is the full length of the sheet. I attach a fence to the sheet and two stop blocks underneath to catch on the sliding table to prevent it sliding completely off the sliding table. This creates two sliding tables and eliminates any friction (it’s a traditional slider type). I can cut any size of sheet material this way. Felder used to (may still do) a thing that does the same function for an eye watering amount.

I have as my own a saw a SCM Si15 which has a 50” slide on it. When I cut lots of sheet I place a piece of sheet on the table with a strip of hardwood attached underneath it to sit in the sliding table slot, the strip is the full length of the sheet. I attach a fence to the sheet and two stop blocks underneath to catch on the sliding table to prevent it sliding completely off the sliding table. This creates two sliding tables and eliminates any friction (it’s a traditional slider type). I can cut any size of sheet material this way. Felder used to (may still do) a thing that does the same function for an eye watering amount.
Brilliant! Answers my question.
I was nearly there. Perhaps combine your extra table with my parallel bench for a full 8x4 capacity
Looking at ptfe sheet to reduce friction, comes in all shapes and sizes PTFE Sheet | Direct Plastics Limited

Last edited:
PTFE would be a superb solution, being a Tight Yorkshire lad, the sheet acting as a sliding table would be cut up at the end and become part of the project😂

I would absolutely love to have one, would not need the tracksaw and sheet goods would be so easy BUT you need a lot of space and this is why so many use tracksaws as it is a good solution for those in a tighter space.

I would absolutely love to have one, would not need the tracksaw and sheet goods would be so easy BUT you need a lot of space and this is why so many use tracksaws as it is a good solution for those in a tighter space.
We still use a tracksaw for a quick angled cut despite having a slider.

I am rather jaundice in my view of Felder kit, that comes from fixing them. I now avoid / don’t fix them. They are IMO a complete dogs breakfast to fix. I feel that the design engineers have never thought about serviceability. The ones that have crossed by horizon have only provided access to the gubbins from underneath. Not very practical in most situations. I also don’t like the build quality, again it’s just my opinion. I have a Felder F540 bandsaw which is the ideal size for me, however it’s the worst built machine in my workshop when compared to my other machines consisting of Wadkin, SCM, Sedgwick which are all vintage machines that I’ve renovated.

If I were after a modern slider I think I would look at something like at an Altendorf, SCM, Martin or Panhanas secondhand full blown industrial machines designed to be switched on and used 24/7.

And you can do this sort of thing, me trimming half a desk top to length, with a little wheeled help!
View attachment 124504View attachment 124505
I do same but the other end is on a bench. It's MDF with polish and a bit low friction.
Had thought of the little trunnion too, or low friction bearer - strip of ptfe on a batten or something.
The problem is cutting 8' lengthways as you need support over 16'+. I'll look at Deemas extending table idea.

Back