Advances in Woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was recently flicking through a woodworking book, "The Handymans Book" by Paul Hasluck. I don't know if anyone is familiar with this one, it's a re-print of a book from 1903 on the "tools, materials and processes employed in woodworking". What strikes me every time I pick it up is this-every woodworking task or problem has been solved 100's of years ago. The hand tools we drool over today were designed and evolved to perfection over decades of use. Jigs and tricks were found to carry out a thousand jobs. It awes me to be part of a tradition that reaches back generations.
Thinking on this, what geuine advances have been made in woodworking techniques over the past, say, 20 years?
I'll be interested in your replies,
regards,
Philly :D

TCT blades?

Making sellable product out of sawdust (MDF)

Induction motors?

Laser sighting on Mitresaws etc

Internet Ordering?

Biscuits?

Miller Dowels?

LV Range of planes?

Hows that for starters?

Adam

mantrakalas":3sri9vey said:
what genuine advances have been made in woodworking techniques over the past, say, 20 years?
glues ?
Not sure about the last 20 years, but certainly modern glues have made a huge difference. Such things as biscuits and the Miller Dowel system would be useless without them. Not sure much has really happened startling in the last 20 years, but perhaps more techniques that were only available to huge factories have become an option for smaller set ups.

Interesting subject to consider, Philly. Thanks.

Cheers, Alf

P.S. I rate The Handyman's Book as one of the top galootish guides, btw. No hope for you now... :wink:

Alf,
I can't even see the top of the slope from where I am! :shock:

Mantrakolas,
Modern glues-definitely an advance there!

Adam,
Lasers-they certainly are cool but an advance?? :?
Biscuits- loose tongues are not a new invention are they? Just new packaging.

Really I was talking about better ways of working, not labour saving devices. I notice no-one has mentioned the router? (or W##dR#T)
Come on -get thinking you lot!

Philly,

Way of working is inextricably linked to the use of tools, i.e. the means to the end, so I argue that woodworking has advanced in the last 20 years by way of novel new tools e.g. err.. um.. well I'm sure there's something out there!
Technique is as I see, categorized by for example, joints. So proprietary dowelling systems, biscuits, even Isoloc joints don't really count as genuine advances since they are only inspired by, or are some variation or refinement on age old methods.

Glues, I have to say should count as a genuine advancement, though perhaps within the last 50 years not 20.

Interesting question of yours though.

Ike

Chris,
I am almost tempted by the hinge jig-how sad am I? :lol:
(And yes, I do have the original Incra Hinge jig :shock: )
cheers

Philly

I think no one mentioned the Router as it is more than 20 years old :)

Morticing machine?

Those rather clever and complex joints that the Rat and Leigh allow?

I would say that glues are the most significant improvement but I remember my old dad using evo-stick and PVA when I was a nipper. I use them both now :shock:

Cheers

Tony

Tony":3j0q3sek said:
Morticing machine?
On the whole, I think not :wink: :
finchmortiser.jpg
finchmortisertoo.jpg

I think we've rather lost out on some joints, rather than gained them. No machine I know of can manage a London pattern dovetail, for instance. Mind you, neither can I... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

mantrakalas":pel4ri8d said:
what geuine advances have been made in woodworking techniques over the past, say, 20 years?

glues ?

Have not the advances in glues mirrored the deteriorate quality of the joints?

Having watched my father restore some antique chairs by melting the old hide glue with hot water I have to wonder how I will every repair or restore any of the items I have put together using PVA.

Undeniably modern glues are much much stronger but the ability to disassemble a joint has been lost.

AndyP

I would say the main advance for me are programmes like NYW and others. They certainly made woodworking a possibility for me and I suspect many others

Tony":2aoes4ma said:
Morticing machine?

Those rather clever and complex joints that the Rat and Leigh allow?

Cheers

Tony
Morticing machines were in use 80 years ago in woodshops.
PVA glue came out in the 60s the same as pozidrive screws.
I have a book 40 years old showing a number of tools using a drill as the power source: morticer, router, lathe, table saw.
In fact dedicated power tools were also availible then: planers, morticers, routers, lathes, table saws, bandsaws, pillar drills.

There has been very few things added in the last 20 years. Most are just made cheaper with extruded aluminium instead of cast iron now.
Biscuits are the most widely used new aid.

OK,OK,OK,OK I admit i was wrong with the morticer (a guess anyway) :roll:

But the glue I was right about, basically same old stuff been (PVA + Evostick) used for at least the last 30-40 years in most cases although I am sure there are many new glues on the market.

Cheers

T

I was going to say internet Woodworking Forums as well. Beat me to it, Roy.

Alf - London pattern dovetail?

Aragorn":3dki4i4i said:
Alf - London pattern dovetail?
Fancy name for the type where the tail is cut using a single saw kerf. You know, down one side as normal, then saw the other side starting in the existing kerf rather than moving along a bit. It's a nice bragging joint to prove they're hand cut. :wink:

Roy, ooo, good one. Certainly made a difference to my woodworking - I don't get any done any more... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Just started the pump and rushed out of the workshop to wonder if we had vacuum veneering and forming in 1984?

I now fully expect Alf to post a 17th century engraving of a contraption using a pig's bladder and a pair of bellows.

Roy

How about the diferences that CAD, CAM and CNC have made in the mass manufactured stuff..???

Back