ADSL2+ with only 6dB of SNR

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Steve

It looks very likely that you have an intermittent line fault. If a Broadband tech. comes out he will expect to find a working telephone line as a starting point, so get Openreach to fix that first.

If you get the outgoing phone problem again, report it ASAP to give BT a better chance to see it. If your router loses sync, try making a call on the phone. It's probably one fault causing both problems.

Keep reporting it as an intermittent fault until BT get Openreach to clear it.

You can do a line test over the web from bt.com, but not if your line is in use.

Have a look at

http://www2.bt.com/static/i/media/pdf/repair_guide.pdf

just in case you have missed anything which might lead to a bill :)

Stick with it until it's fixed.

Cheers

Dave

BE have done another line test, no problems shown.

so we have

1) one BE test showing an earth fault
2) open reach attendance with no fault found (level 1)
3) BE test showing no fault

BE have now reduced my line margin to 3dB, and I've seen almost a 1meg increase in speed, to now just above 3meg.

so its obvious that we have an intermittent fault, just this evening Mrs KU has has to dial her parents number 3 times to get through and finally when she got a connection she could hear voices in the background.

BE have said that I should monitor the situation, they can't monitor the line with 3dB margin, but they will escalate the situation with BT if I see no increase in sync rates. Apparently its not a broadband issue but infact an open reach problem and they will need a "level 2" attendance to check my line quality between my house and the exchange and possibly swap me onto new copper pairs.

They are prepared to send a new router, and filter, can't fault that.....

Steve

You WILL NOT fix your broadband problem until the voice problem is fixed. It could well be that it's one and the same problem, BUT until the voice problem is fixed the broadband engineer won't even try to fix it - or at least he shouldn't. The required baseline for a broadband connection is a correctly working voice line - unless we're talking sdsl which we're not.

jlawrence":2f993lcu said:
You WILL NOT fix your broadband problem until the voice problem is fixed. It could well be that it's one and the same problem, BUT until the voice problem is fixed the broadband engineer won't even try to fix it - or at least he shouldn't. The required baseline for a broadband connection is a correctly working voice line - unless we're talking sdsl which we're not.

agreed, that is unless the broadband engineer manages to find the intermittent (voice) problem whilst debugging my poor sync rates (with his better gear and knowledge) .
.... thats assuming its the same problem (which I suspect it is)

I think my issues need a bit more attention than:

*quiet line test*...... "yer mate sounds alright to me....."

Steve

Back