ADSL filters - are they any use ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redhunter350

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi having a tidy up after decorating and "found" several ADSL filters ---- are they of use in todays world ? We no longer use them for our internet connection
Should they be of use to anyone please message me !

They are certainly not obsolete! There are thousands (maybe millions) of properties which still have POTS telephone sockets which do not have the filter built in. Even when the Master socket has been replaced with a newer unit the secondary sockets are seldom (if ever) replaced and not everyone has there Router conncted to the Master Socket - albeit that being the best option.

Having said that, there are so many ADSL filters in existance that the loss of a few to recycling is no big deal :D

When the POTS system ends (soon?? ) then they will be obsolete.

Thank you, I take both points however for me they will be of no use we now have fibre right into the modem and gone for VOIP telephone an as J-G says although they are still used it will not be long before they do disappear ?
John

The BT switch to VOIP service only - may" not be that soon... Problems galore exist and yet to be resolved. the olde system works; especially when power is down at teh subscriber's end, as the exchange is obligated to maintain required service voltages for a set period. That period varies from country to country - be it in UK/Europe, Canada/USA to name a few. The BT intention is to provide a battery backup locally (at the subscriber) but that doesn't address possible isues with fibre connections; which also persist with olde fashioned copper ccts..

Even now many who have abandoned a plug in phone at home and use cordeless suystems discover that with apower outage.. those cprrdless systems fail too. Always have a plug in phone at hand; and, as per a BT engineer years ago, always have one in the bedroom and if possible in the kitchen or easy reach from there - for emergency use!.

I've just had a new installation of a "BT" line as I was with virgin before. It is still a copper pair from the cabinet to the house but no traditional phone just ADSL and voip from a socket on the router.
I can't see how BT will achieve a connection during power cuts as it would not only require a battery backup in the home but also to the box in the street with giga bits of data to handle. In essence more bandwidth needs more power and half the cabinet would have to be batteries.
Even if the phone back up were to be via a mobile mast, BT might have done their bit but no guarantee of the local mast having mains power.

I've just had a new installation of a "BT" line as I was with virgin before. It is still a copper pair from the cabinet to the house but no traditional phone just ADSL and voip from a socket on the router.
I can't see how BT will achieve a connection during power cuts as it would not only require a battery backup in the home but also to the box in the street with giga bits of data to handle. In essence more bandwidth needs more power and half the cabinet would have to be batteries.
Even if the phone back up were to be via a mobile mast, BT might have done their bit but no guarantee of the local mast having mains power.
Don't we know it! Lost mobile signal when Storm Arwen demolished everything standing round us here. Cordless phone also dead, but fortunately we've kept an old corded one (not quite round dial!) in the workshop, so did still have some communication. Three days and a lot of petrol through the genny, we came back on.
But been having internet problems and, despite BT saying there was no problem with their line, their engineer has just spent 5 hours fault finding, changing the input socket and two boxes on the pole in the verge. "No problem" according to BT test system, but engineer said when he touched one wire in the box on the pole, it just fell apart, and the second box had no lid, so was badly corroded by the weather and had to be replaced. It's been nearly 31 here with strong sunshine, so had an awful feeling the guy might collapse with heat stroke up the pole and dangle there on his safety harness. But apparently there was a bit of breeze up there. Still, 3.5 hours up there in full sun can't have been fun.

Latest posts

Back