Adjusting speed on bench drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I recently bought a 2nd hand but hardly used Ferm 16/500 9 speed bech drill.
I haven't had call to really use it yet although it powers on fine.

I have opened the case that houses the pulleys and there are 3 sets of wheels with belts going from each outside set to the inner set of wheels.
I can't tell how to move the pulleys to change the speed. If I can somehow slacken them then I can play a bit and figure out which combination of pulley/wheels is the fastest and slowest speed etc

Can someone tell me how to slacken and move the pulleys? There doesn't appear to be any screws labelled up for releasing tension

Hope I've been clear. Have never used a drill like this before

Is this it?

product_154.jpg

There's a little knob/turnkey thing in the middle (the cable goes under it) which probably secures the motor on a sliding bracket. It might do something else though. There'll probably be another one on the other side. There might even be a lever somewhere, which shifts the motor when you have loosened the lock nuts. Something along those line anyway, just have a good look on the outside, not under the bonnet.

Looks like I didn't scroll down far enough to see then english :oops:

Pete

I've a different drill to that, but I have never loosened anything; as long as you change from a large diameter to a smaller you might be able to do it turning a pulley by hand. (obviously the second change goes the other way, but the belt is looser then)

phil.p":ueymu1r9 said:
I've a different drill to that, but I have never loosened anything; as long as you change from a large diameter to a smaller you might be able to do it turning a pulley by hand. (obviously the second change goes the other way, but the belt is looser then)

I would advise against this method as you are in danger in stretching the belts. The motor tension release is fairly easy to do...mine has nuts on which I simply made handles for and encapsulated them to make it easier to do quickly. The other thing is that it is important to take up the correct amount of slack. Each belt should move about 1/2" either way at the centre between the pulleys. Too tight and you wear the bearings quicker...too loose and it shakes around like a belly dancer and is in danger of falling off.

Cheers

Jim

Back