adjustable inlay jig?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodman-46

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to inlay square metal plaques in wood normally around 3" x 2" and 1mm thick ( the plaques). The size will vary sometimes and I would like to know if there is on the market an adjustable router jig similar to a letter box jig but for finer more accurate work. I could probably make one but would prefer to buy one if possible. If anyone has any information I would be very interested.
Thanks in advance
James

James,

For a rectangular inlays I usually use four bits of 6mm thick MDF which I stick with small pieces of double sided tape. Two pieces are laid adjacent to the long and overlap the ends by a fair way and two to the short sides. The short sided pieces are cut a couple of mm shorter than the side of the inlay and thus fit easily between the long side pieces.

I use a top bearing-guided bit. As long as any gap between the pieces is smaller than the radius of the bit, there will be no unwanted "bumps".

You will need to size the overall dimensions of the MDF pieces such that the base of the router rides happily on them.

Back