Adjustable Height Bench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Whilst surfing I came across this interesting workbench. It's the bottom right photo.

http://www.michealconnorwoodwork.com.au/workshop.html

An interesting idea-adjustable height metal legs to allow you to alter the height of the bench AND also keep the surface flat and out of wind. :? An interesting idea- Does anyone use a similar thing? I know sometimes I would like to raise the height of my bench for fine work.....

Cheers
Philly

I would love to have an adjustable height bench, but there is a problem, and that is that any extending leg system is going to have a certain amount of sideways play, and as soon as sideways thrust (such as when sanding by hand) is applied to the table, it is going to wobble. The design would need some kind of triangulation such as diagonals which would be loosened when the height is changed, and re-tightened in the new position.
I'm still trying to come up with an easy to produce and effective design which would allow large height adjustments to be carried out quickly and to provide a rigid surface
John

John,
Yes, I hear what your saying about play and movement-my current workbench is a big old girl, made that way so it doesn't move! :D
In a recent issue of Fine Woodworking there was an article on different working heights for different types of work-low for heavy work, etc, and in the article the chap had a little bench to sit on top of his workbench to raise the level up to shoulder height for really fine delicate work. I like the idea (I normally sit on a small stool for fine work, as it lowers me to that sort of working level) but don't really have the room to store yet another jig in the workshop. (need to keep spare space for those other essential hand tool purchases! :lol: )
regards,
Philly

Latest posts

Back