Adirondak Chair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi All

Thought I'd build this Adirondak chair from these PLANS with a bigger pictureHERE .

Am I just being thick or are these plans wrong as in 'C' which reads 20-7/16" long but should be 23-5/8" ?

Someone give em a study and tell me I'm right please.

cheers

billzee

Edit: If you hover your cursor over the bottom right hand corner of the bigger picture you should be able to expand it to full size

My vote is :

"C" looks to be the same as "B" and "J"

which is 23-5/8-in

so, I think you're right :D

Billzee,

I reckon you're right too. I haven't checked, but I wonder if they originally planned it to be between the side rails and that's where the extra length disappeared to? Just shows doesn't it? Check plans before you cut! :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Hi

I thought this project would be quite easy, but its been a bit more difficult than I thought

All the angles I think, plus 140 pilot holes plus counterboring and the exact placement of 70 screws :shock:

Anyways, nearly done now, just 70 plugs to cut, glue and trim, final sanding and then apply the finish.

Did I say nearly finished :lol:

Edit: Oops, and the seating lats as well :lol:

ac.jpg

OK, so no pipper likes my Chair.. cos it ain't got no bells and whistle type mortice and tenons or dovetail thingys I suppose :roll:

Not proper joinery is it I guess, what with screws and plugs and stuff...

..... and hell its only that stringy ole pine softwood afterall.

Never mind, one day I'll join the 'Bigboys' and start eulogising over me cherrys and me maples.

Meanwhile, I'll shall enjoy my chair, sitting in the sun ( when the pipper shines) and sipping my ale. :)

Cheers

Billzee

Hi Bill

I had missed your posting, but just to say that I like your chair. In fact, I am going to build a couple myself this summer.

I didn't realise the plans were free. :D I'll just need to remember about the incorrect measurements.

Cheers
Neil

Bilzee,

I also missed your post - sometimes the yellow flag thingies work for me, sometimes not.

Your chair seems to be working out fine and I would expect it to be very comfortable - the arms are wide enough for your ale too!. I can appreciate what you say about the funny angles - quite unexpected at times.

How are you going to finish it?

Bilzee,

i missed the post to, sorry mate

The chair looks great, SWMBO wants some now

Jeez the way her list is growin I might just get it all
finished by the next millenium :lol:

Signal

I used Sadolin on my outdoor furniture back last summer and with being outdoors all Winter their still look like the day I applied the finnish.

On the end grain of the legs of the greenhouse staging I made, I put s/steel coach bolts to keep it off the floor so that its not in constant damp
and drawing up moisture

I dunno, can't feel sorry for yerself on here for long :lol:

Neil, its just one measurement that is out, as mentioned.

Chris and Sawdust, about the 'finish'

Have been thinking about that, and strange but true, had just been looking @Sadolin products when I read the posts.

What was the actual Sadolin product you used sawdust?

BTW Good tip about the S/S bolts :)

Had been considering the Sadolin Supercoat exterior woodstain antique pine, but it seems not many people sell it, especially online.

B&Q are out of stock.

...or some other clear exterior woodstain.

Any other recommendations would be welcome.

Signal, good luck with the millenium timetable :D

cheers

billzee :)

Bilzee,

I use Sikkens Cetol, a Scandinavian wood treatment, on garden furniture, summerhouse and garden shed. Two coats to start with then a maintenance coat every 2/3 years - super stuff but a bit pricey.
Softwood garden furniture, now about 7 years old, left outside all year and no signs of any deterioration. I do make sure that all the end grain, and especially the bottoms of the legs, are well soaked with the stuff. It leaves a semi-gloss finish.

Trev.

Trev, been checking that Sikkens out.

There are several different products

It looks like you use two different sikken products to achieve the result..

What did you use?

cheers

billzee

I found their list of products a bit confusing, too, Bilzee.

From memory, they produce various compositions giving varying degrees of filtering
of harmful sunlight rays. Again, as far as I recall, the first product to use is the
one that gives the protection, the second one puts a gloss on it (at some expense).
I used only the first, 'cos I didn't really want a shiny shed, and have found it totally
satisfactory.

I'll go look on the tin and let you know exactly what I used.

BTW - it does come in virtually any colour you want, including antique pine.

Trev.

Hi, Bilzee,

I am using Sikkens Cetol HLS - a low build, microporous product for exterior wood protection. It resists UV light, surface mould/algae, peeling and cracking. (That's what it says on the tin - as I said, I am fully satisfied with it). I have in the past also used Sikkens Novatech.

If you go into:
www.sikkens.co.uk
you can turn up all their product info. for comparison.

Hope this helps, Trev.

HI Bilzee

I didn't see your post until now and I like your chair.
Just printed out the web pages as a couple of these would look great in our garden this summer

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony

Just a few more plugs and the Finish. :)

All bar the seat lats have a couple of coats of Danish Oil @ the mo

Gonna use the Sikkens Cetol HLS as a Finish coat when I can get my hands on some; apparently the same people make Sadolin.

Timber: Half came from freebie sawn construction softwood offcuts £0.00
Other half, planed redwood from Builder centre ( too much
waste on sawn sizes available) £19.60
To Buy: Sikkens Cetol 1 ltr £11.98
----------
£31.58

Seen these chairs retail @ about £170.00

adi%20chair2.jpg

Back