Adirondack chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked for larch around here but struggled to find it. I didn't ring around though, so there may be some.

I am going to try the barrel idea. If it works, there is £50 of timber in each chair, if it doesn't they can be used for a boatload of pen blanks, smoking chunks, etc.

I'm just in the process of finishing a drawing of a chair I've made in Fusion 360. This is it in it's part finished state. I'm happy to provide 2D drawings when it finished, which will be in a few days. I've made this chair and it's comfy (or at least the boss says it is)!

59243baa-8ec1-40f3-a810-e58337776831.PNG

I got the plans for theses I made from America. The stool design is mine. I found that the angle was to steep and you slid in them also to wide so sold the first set. Made them again narrower and changed the steepness. They are spot on now just finished taking the varnish off and repainted. I did 2 different fan back designs the wife got the one on the right I didn't like.🤣🤣
20210408_181141.jpg

I get larch cut up and green from a local circular sawmill. inch planks take a few months to dry this time of year. it's a bit soft and knotty but pretty decent. Douglas fir would make a lovely chair.

Here's a set I made this time last year. I thought I'd posted pictures of these before. They are in Iroko and based on the weathered pair in the background bought some 20 years ago. These had been left outside all of this time and never treated. I altered some of the dimensions and made the base frame as a separate ladder type structure with joints of stub tenons to give some rigidity. The footrests took a bit of working out so I made a mock-up out of strips of mdf first to get the ergonomics correct.

Colin
1-1600.jpg
2-1600.jpg
3-1600.jpg
4-1600.jpg

Among other things I make rocking deckchairs, they don’t have rockers in the traditional sense they are built on a trapezium movement.
I think I’m going to have to look at designing a rocking lightweight version of an Adirondack. Wish me luck, they are fiendishly difficult. Ian

well today I bought my wine barrel for the weekend's chair project. it took a bit of getting apart but is in good condition. the seller had cleaned up the outside a bit which saves me a bit of work.

my car is in the garage, so the wife's car has a lovely wine smell in it. I had permission to collect some wood so I told her that I had eaten a couple of wine gums on the way home and got the barrel staves out without her seeing.

Needs a coat of finish yet but it is cfortable to sit in. I made a rod for making the next one which I think (with the knowledge of how it goes together) will save an hour or more.

Attachments

• IMG_20210530_132928.jpg
    IMG_20210530_132928.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back