Adirondack chairs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcros

Established Member
Reaction score
I want to make a couple of these in a couple of months Wine Barrel Adirondack Chair or https://hungarianworkshop.com/wine-barrel-adirondack-chairs/

does anybody have any plans that they can confirm are comfortable? The angles seem pretty critical and I think that the instructables plans seem to be lacking a few measurements.

I am not against buying some plans and adapting them to the barrel staves, but would prefer some that can be confirmed as good!

Also, if not using a barrel, does anybody know roughly how much wood is in a chair?

fine woodworking had an in depth article and plans for an adirondack a few years ago. normal not wine barrel though.

Do you use Sketchup?, i found some designs on the Sketchup Warehouse. Then redesigned my own version of a twin, they call it a love seat. Happy to send you the 3 sketchup files i have if you want them. Single-seat and twins

Do you use Sketchup?, i found some designs on the Sketchup Warehouse. Then redesigned my own version of a twin, they call it a love seat. Happy to send you the 3 sketchup files i have if you want them. Single-seat and twins

no, but thanks all the same. I do have the FWW archive though so I will start with that.

I have PDFs of the Good Woodworking Adirondack chair by Steve Maskery when he was young & handsome & another by Norm Abram if you want them & Steve has no objection.

I ended up making one over the bank holiday weekend. it was a very pleasant project and one I recomend at all levels.
not tricksy but quite demanding non the less. uses quite a bit of inch wood so could work out pricey in oak.

Attachments

• 20210405_185706.jpg
    20210405_185706.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20210405_185216.jpg
    20210405_185216.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 58
I like those. I have spent the weekend fencing, but I may aim to do a chair next bank hol.

how long did it take you?

probably about 20 hours at a guess. including making patterns for the arms and legs. it's basically a copy of the fww chair. probably (bit over)half that for the next one. I wasted some time spokeshaving and carving the arms. and rounding the seat slats. I also put it together with 60mm small head deck screws(timbadeck)
the patterns I enlarged using digital calipers in metric and times it by 4

the only awkward bit is spacing the fan back to to fill the available space. I cut a thin lath and marked the length of the bottom cradle and the length of the top cradle the I had to make spacers narrow at the bottom and wider at the top. took a few goes to get just right.

I can check which one originally but this one dropped through the door last week in a special garden projects issue.

it's interesting that a seemingly simple set design has so so many variations even of basic structure.
that chair is remarkably crisp and well finished by the way.

what I will say is I showed the guys that work around me the chair and they were billing and cooing. usually I'll make something much trickier ( after all its only screwed together) and they don't give it a second look or even acknowledge its OK.
that's the old grey whistle test of woodworking design!

Latest posts

Back