Adhesive for polypropylene

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Push fit pipe adhesive! If you want it permanent. I use a small bead of silicone on the edge just to get a good seal in case I want to take it apart again, as a really good smear on a close fit will never come apart no matter what you do

Aidan

Thanks Aiden I’ve tried silicone, tec7 to no avail. I’m trying to permanently bond a dewalt extractor fitting to push fit pipe.

curt

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 12
Polypropylene is notoriously hard to stick to, usually that’s a good thing. Pipe solvent may work well, in which case you get a weld not an adhesive bond, but I’m not sure how you’d be certain both paths are the right grade to work well, so I’d go epoxy after a good scuff up but ideally back it up with a mechanical fixing and use the epoxy as a grout
Aidan

yes and no. there are different formulations that work better with different types of plastic. the one is linked is specifically for pollypropolene

yes and no. there are different formulations that work better with different types of plastic. the one is linked is specifically for pollypropolene
Unfortunately there are many types of PP too, some have additives to help you stick to them, some have additives to do precisely the opposite too. Cyanos have some interesting properties that facilitate bonding to plastics, but the same properties can also cause stress cracking which develops minutes to weeks later, often by the time you can’t see it happening any more.
That said a good cyano bond when fully cured is basically a solid plastic and can be very strong. We had some plastic cases that had to be milled opened to recover the electronics inside, there was no prying them apart at all
Aidan

Yes, but only for solvent weld waste! Push fit is not glueable with any success - but the rubber seals hold it well enough for drains! Solvent weld waste pipe easily available up to 50mm holds together well without glue, the fittings have a sight taper. Our workshop has a 50mm ceiling mounted ring comnnected to a 2 motor vac in the corner and is only glued at the blast gate points. Numatic spares provide a screw on point for the Numatic hose connector and drop hose.

Hope this helps: you can get pushfit to solvent weld adapters. Most plumbers merchants would be able to help you out

I've just had some success with CA glue to hold it, then a hot melt glue to seal it.
Gentle radiused bends in 100mm soil pipe for extraction.

Or epoxy resin (araldite)

Back