Adhering plans to wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraser

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have some plans which are to scale, one of which is a template which I need to cut out of a sheet of ply.
What is the best way to adhere these to the ply in order to cut them out
Is it best to cut out from the plans with scissors then draw round this onto the ply, is this the most accurate way? Or is there any way I can 'trace' it?

Thanks

fraser":1kw6zeng said:
Is it best to cut out from the plans with scissors then draw round this onto the ply, is this the most accurate way? Or is there any way I can 'trace' it?

I've successfully used spray-mount for this several times; it's sold in big stationers (Staples et al) and art supply shops, it's essentially glue in a spray can... but so long as you don't buy an ultra-strong one (3M Super-77 has A Reputation) and just spray the paper lightly, you can simply peel it off the wood/whatever after you've done your cutting. At worst, a quick sand/plane/scrape will get rid of any remnants.

You could get a Laserjet print copy and than iron it on. Tape it down to hold the edges but it must be laser as it works by heat hence the softening of the ink with the iron. Modelmakers do this. If it is large you my need to go to a print shop. About 1 or 2 pounds. Check there is no reduction in the printing, as in an A4 photocopy coming out at about 98% or so.

twothumbs":sfps8dvv said:
You could get a Laserjet print copy and than iron it on. Tape it down to hold the edges but it must be laser as it works by heat hence the softening of the ink with the iron. Modelmakers do this. If it is large you my need to go to a print shop. About 1 or 2 pounds. Check there is no reduction in the printing, as in an A4 photocopy coming out at about 98% or so.

That is a really useful tip! I didn't know that about laser printing with toner...I do now though!

I must try that! I want to try this letter carving thing.

Cheers for that!

Jim

twothumbs":28y74ufk said:

Like Jim I want to try some letter carving and have been advised not to use spray mount as the glue is a pipper to remove.

So the laser and iron trick, is it just any laser image? Just print it out and iron it on?

Mick

MickCheese":1uvtobv5 said:
twothumbs":1uvtobv5 said:

Like Jim I want to try some letter carving and have been advised not to use spray mount as the glue is a pipper to remove.

So the laser and iron trick, is it just any laser image? Just print it out and iron it on?

Mick

Ahem. Print it mirror'd, obviously.

BugBear

Matthias Wandel from woodgears.ca fame regularly states that laser printers are inaccurate but inkjet printers are. I've never tested this but worth checking before you cut up some bog oak or some cuban mahogany!

If you need more than one, the way I have done it in the past is to glue the paper onto thick card and then cut it with a knife and draw round it onto the wood.

Or stick it with spray mount onto thin bit of mdf or hardboard and bandsaw it out.

Tom

Back