Adding sockets to ring circuit - advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I am aware correctly rated and fitted junction boxes are perfectly acceptable and unless "part P" has changed, the fitting of a few sockets into and existing ring main is still not notifyable work as long as carried out by a competent person and therefore does not require a certificate.

The following types of work are non-notifiable:

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
Re-fixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components (2)
Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations (3)
Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding (4)
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
- adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)

Notes:

(1) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board;

(2) If the circuit's protective measures are unaffected;

(3) If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation;

(4) Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations;

(5) Special locations and installations are listed below;

(6) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory.

I know a guy that trains sparkies and according to him, you can change like for like but anything else needs to be signed off by a certified sparks.

John51":3lf9w5vy said:
I know a guy that trains sparkies and according to him, you can change like for like but anything else needs to be signed off by a certified sparks.

He's wrong. Lons is correct. And yes, i do believe that JBs are supposed to be accessible.

When we moved into a late Victorian house, there was a fair amount of "just tidy it up, it'll have to do for a while" philosophy. We were in the process of painting everything white, when I came across a large loop of 2.5mm with a junction in the middle of it in the bottom of a cupboard - there was meant to be a socket there at some point. I looked around, and realising there were no sockets in the hall, I thought I'd tidy everything up and put one in. I asked swmbo to sit with a tester while I isolated the circuit. Pulling all the fuses, I replaced the one I thought it was. It's live she shouts, so I pull that one and replace the rest - it's live , she shouts. Turns out that all the rings are fed from two fuses, and the rest just stuck in anywhere there was room, so the basement lights and the upstairs power were on one fuse, and so on. The ground floor lights and the immersion heater were on one together.
The most worrying thing was that the guy I bought the house from was an electrician.

phil.p":298bfvqg said:
The most worrying thing was that the guy I bought the house from was an electrician.

Yup..there are bad ones in all trades, I guess. I was refurbing a flat (before Part P). Needed to replace the consumer unit so went out to the communal landing and removed the fuse feeding the flat. Labelled up all the wires and disconnected from the old consumer unit. These were single wires inside metal conduit. Fixed the new consumer unit and proceeded to re-connect the wires. Happened to touch a neutral with the back of my hand and got a belt.

Turned out that the electricians had mixed up the wires and some of my neutrals were connected into the other flat and vice versa. So the neutral was live as it was connected via some equipment in the other flat to their live.

Lons":3j2kk0nx said:
As far as I am aware correctly rated and fitted junction boxes are perfectly acceptable and unless "part P" has changed, the fitting of a few sockets into and existing ring main is still not notifyable work as long as carried out by a competent person and therefore does not require a certificate.

Replacing accessories such as socket-outlets, control switches and ceiling roses
Replacing the cable for a single circuit only, where damaged, for example, by fire, rodent or impact (1)
Work that is not in a kitchen or special location and does not involve a special installation (5) and consists of:
- adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit (6)
- adding socket-outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit (6)

Notes:

(1) On condition that the replacement cable has the same current-carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board;

(3) If the circuit's protective measures and current-carrying capacity of conductors are unaffected by increased thermal insulation;

(4) Such work shall comply with other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations;

(6) Only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory.

Who decides if a person is 'competent'?

BH

Baldhead":z647jowz said:
Lons":z647jowz said:

Notes:

Who decides if a person is 'competent'?

BH

The next person to use the circuit :twisted: :lol: :shock:

Back