Adding a better filter to a shop vac

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markwalker84

Reaction score
Hi all,

First post here so go gentle...

I'm about to start setting up a new small workshop.

Thoughts are all focused on dust / chip collection at the moment.

I've got a small Homebase / Wickes (can't remember which) wet / dry vac that cost me ~£30.
Definitely not rated for fine dust - has one of those sponge filters in it.

I think my plan is going to be getting either a LPHV chip extractor or one of those 100mm inlet canister extractors for my "big" tools (that's another topic!) but keep the little guy hooked up to sanders and hand tools.

I'd like to improve the filtration on it though. Can I just shove any old 1 / 0.5 micron filter bag in there? Are there "universal" replacements for those sponge sleeve filters?

Thanks,

Mark

Be aware that a fine filter will clog very very quickly especially if you're sanding. Perhaps look into fitting a cyclone before it which will help maintain efficiency and decrease aggravation - there's a stack of posts on here and its a cheap option. As to a standard filter - you should be so lucky. Somebody here will probably have one and be able to recommend a fix though.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

You probably want to be looking into buying a cartridge filter like this :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-reusab ... lter/962fg

However, as for getting one to fit your existing machine, unless it is the same brand, I'm not sure I would bother as it is unlikley to be a good fit. I think you're better of buying a new vac (especially seeing as your vac only cost £30)

Thanks!

Should have mentioned - I've got a bodged together Thien separator in front of it currently, so that would stay, but my understanding is that they don't get all the super small stuff which is the most harmful.

I've got a face mask etc. but want to do this "right" this time around.

mbartlett99":3384j1p8 said:
Be aware that a fine filter will clog very very quickly especially if you're sanding. Perhaps look into fitting a cyclone before it which will help maintain efficiency and decrease aggravation - there's a stack of posts on here and its a cheap option. As to a standard filter - you should be so lucky. Somebody here will probably have one and be able to recommend a fix though.

I thought cyclones only drop the heavier particles? ..the fine stuff will still go straight through, no?

transatlantic":2xl72ds0 said:
mbartlett99":2xl72ds0 said:

I thought cyclones only drop the heavier particles? ..the fine stuff will still go straight through, no?

They still capture quite a lot of the fine dust. When sanding filler I was surprised at how much of that super fine filler dust actually was caught in the cyclone.

markwalker84":djtqeg9d said:
I've got a bodged together Thien separator in front of it currently, so that would stay, but my understanding is that they don't get all the super small stuff which is the most harmful.

I've got a face mask etc. but want to do this "right" this time around.

I've used Thein separators in the past (ply and studded rod within 55 gallon barrel) but found the cyclones are more efficient for fine dust to be captured. You can buy plastic cyclones on Ebay now for silly money and they come with inlet / outlets that plumb straight to the extractor / hose.

A cyclone will (in my experience) stop more dust getting to the final filter of which the Titan HEPA up there ^ is a very good find. You can also get them for Henry's IIRC.

I can't speak to a thien separator but my ebay chiwanese cyclone cost 15 quid plus about 5 quid for a proper solid bucket with screwtop and has saved knows how much on filters/time. True it doesn't catch all the fine stuff but gets nearly all.

Cool. May look at a cheap cyclone for the shop vac but I'm looking at 100mm inlet for the one attached to the big tools and they just don't seem to make reasonably priced 100mm cyclones!

It's a right old headache all this!

After hundreds of pounds wasted I'm gonna share my knowledge. small cyclone separators like the ones sold on ebay/amazon with the 50mm ports powered by a vacuum cleaner type hoover are ok and dont loose to much suction. however the big 100mm port cyclone separator's are a disaster. i had a 750watt fan running mine and it suffered 3 a fold drop in suction from 29 mps ( metres per second ) down to 11mps. so i upgraded my fan to a 3.5kw fan direct to the top of the cyclone and only got upto 14mps. so my conclusion is avoid the big cyclone separators they cost hundreds and keep suction power low.

After hundreds of pounds wasted I'm gonna share my knowledge. small cyclone separators like the ones sold on ebay/amazon with the 50mm ports powered by a vacuum cleaner type hoover are ok and dont loose to much suction. however the big 100mm port cyclone separator's are a disaster. i had a 750watt fan running mine and it suffered 3 a fold drop in suction from 29 mps ( metres per second ) down to 11mps. so i upgraded my fan to a 3.5kw fan direct to the top of the cyclone and only got upto 14mps. so my conclusion is avoid the big cyclone separators they cost hundreds and keep suction power low.

I have found the opposite to yourself.

Well I have been using 100mm cyclones for almost 10 years now and have found that while there is a drop in suction of course, they are still very effective.

Small cyclones will capture a fair amount of fine dust. I've got a Titan vac, instead of buying filter bags I use the brown filter bags (from record power, intended for 100mm vacs) and cover the cartridge filter. As you do with the RP vacs and let the drum fill up.
Before getting the cyclone and blue barrel, the filter in the vac would be absolutely caked. Since recently getting the cyclone, I've emptied the barrel 3 times and there's only a very small amount of dust on the vac filter.

Take note of the comment about bypass motors here:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/dust-extraction-for-ros-hplv-vs-hvlp.130641/#post-1471843as it is relevant to you.

There is other generally useful stuff in that thread.

Yes an important point for long periods of sanding.

To be honest, even your most basic vacuum has far too much suction for something like using a sander as the extraction is very efficient with little room for escape. I found using a pipe with a "suction adjuster" on it works very well, the sander moves more freely (so easier to use and less strain on the sander motor) and there is plenty of air getting through to cool the motor. I have not noticed any drop in efficiency of dust collection.

Back