Adblock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artie

Sawdust manufacturer.
Reaction score
After reading the thread the other day about utube video recommendations and avoiding ads I installed adblocker.

Very good it is too, but the free trial doesn't last long. So being of the firm belief that almost everything on t'wed can be had for free if you look.
I Looked, and found the Avasti secure browser.

I've installed it and it looks remarkably like google chrome, with a few added features.

Seems to be working great so far.

The best way I've found to block ads, malware sites etc. is to implement a whole-house solution so that all devices (wired or wireless) benefit.

I run Pi-Hole on a virtual server in my attic but it was originally written to run from an SD card on a Raspberry Pi (so it's a cheap solution) that you plug directly into your broadband router. Pi-Hole replaces the DHCP and DNS services that are normally provided by the router and automatically updates itself with the current blacklists.

A more detailed description can be found at Setup and run Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi

Or for those of you that prefer videos, there are plenty on YouTube, e.g.

The best way I've found to block ads, malware sites etc. is to implement a whole-house solution so that all devices (wired or wireless) benefit.

I run Pi-Hole on a virtual server in my attic but it was originally written to run from an SD card on a Raspberry Pi (so it's a cheap solution) that you plug directly into your broadband router. Pi-Hole replaces the DHCP and DNS services that are normally provided by the router and automatically updates itself with the current blacklists.

A more detailed description can be found at Setup and run Pi-Hole on a Raspberry Pi

Or for those of you that prefer videos, there are plenty on YouTube, e.g.

Looks good,

Might require some learning on my part.

I use Adblock Plus which is free. Been using it for many years now both on Windows and my phone(android) without issues.

Another pi-hole user here - several years now, though I only use it for DNS, not for DHCP.

Works very well but needs occasional tweaking, e.g. even with just the default lists it can stop iPlayer on Google TV from loading - easy to fix though.

On the whole, it's excellent and now with DNSSEC support, even better.

I would say that for non-technical folk, pi-hole is probably not a great plan. You need some network savvy to implement & maintain it properly.

For stand alone use, Ublock Origin uBlock Origin - Wikipedia is pretty good as well as being open source and free.

Last edited:
Adblock is free, UBlock Origin is great.

Check out SponsorBlock For Youtube as well

I can't use a pc without an adblocker. I used my Mums laptop and was amazed how many videos just started randomly playing on every site.
I have adblocker (free version) but noticed it not catching everything, I downloaded privacy badger (also free) and it noticed a bunch of extra stuff that wasn't getting stopped.
Sometimes I have to turn it off or the sites refuse to load.

Ollie

be careful with fake adblock apps, there are quite a few of them, you should never have to pay for it.

Back