Adapter for securing a generic vacuum hose to Bosch Pro circular saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retrography

Reaction score
I have a GKS 55+ GCE that works superbly, but I struggle to keep the vacuum hose (30mm in/35mm out) attached to its dust port. The nozzle of the hose does fit in the port, but it comes off all the time. The fit, of course, is not snug, and that because of the ridges inside the dust port: It is not a smooth circle.

Is there any adapter I can use to ensure a secure fit?

Interesting. A silicone reducer like this one? And then how do you use it? Do you insert both sides of the connection into the silicone tube?

I’d appreciate if you could upload a photo.

You can get adapters that screw onto the hose and have a rubberised other end to give a snug fit on the saw. This is an example Festool RM D36/27-AS Dust Extractor Hose Reducing Coupling | eBay I use this to connect my hose to my metabo sander which had the same problem as your saw, and it works a treat.

You need to measure the hose and your saw dust port's ID and OD also bear in mind that this does mean it would be more of a faf connecting and reconnecting the hose end if you use the hose for other tools.

You can get adaptors made to whatever size by 3d printing. I had five made for different power tools to about £30

Interesting. A silicone reducer like this one? And then how do you use it? Do you insert both sides of the connection into the silicone tube?

I’d appreciate if you could upload a photo.
I just bought straight. It fits the dust port on my Makita railsaw and the end of my Henry. I've got another bit on my wander, and I had a bit on the chopsaw until I hit a dust hood for that.

I'll pop a photo up later and see if I can find what size I bought.

Thank you everyone.

I think I will order both rubberized/siliconized connectors for general use and a 3D-printed one for the saw in question. Looking around the web I have found a few candidates, and once Sporky posts a photo/specs I can narrow down the choices.

I've standardised on the quick-click adaptors from CTS for connecting to tools - I made up a few different hose lengths with the circular 'female' end and find that the 4 piece set fits the vast majority of my tools. There were a couple of tools that I had to make short enlargers/reducers for but a heat gun and plastic pipe took care of that and those adaptors stay in the cases with those tools.

The only thing I had to do anything more complex for was my bandsaw as it has dual high/low extraction ports so I used a silicon 'Y' piece and a couple of short pieces of hose to split the suction from a single connection point.

https://centraltechnologysystems.co...ust-extraction/standard-quick-click-adaptors/

Someone on ebay is advertising a service, give them the sizes and they 3D print one. I'll post the link if I can find it.

Edit. Not the one I contacted, but this shows more than a few
Edit 2. Found it. This guy offers specific sizes.

Last edited:
+1 for CenTec adaptors. Very easy and fits most situations. Available from all the usual online retailers.

These look very interesting. Have you tried them with any Bosch pro dust port? Otherwise I can just order it from Amazon and test for myself.

These look very interesting. Have you tried them with any Bosch pro dust port? Otherwise I can just order it from Amazon and test for myself.

Would have thought the Bosch pro should be fine. If you look at the Bosch professional dust extractors, they seem to use an almost identical quick change system as Centec

No I haven't tried them with Bosch pro but they're OK with Festool tracksaw, Charnwood mitre saw, Metabo and Bosch sanders, Triton router, plus a few own brand tools. With all the different size adaptors there's certain to be one that will fit.

If you send me accurate dimensions for the adaptor, I’ll print one up for a small donation of your choice to the North West Air Ambulance. Other people on here have helped me a lot, my woodworking skills are slightly less than my brain surgery skills so I can’t help back that way, but I know Fusion 360 and can 3d print pretty well.

Ill send it for free in the uk as well.

rob

If you send me accurate dimensions for the adaptor, I’ll print one up for a small donation of your choice to the North West Air Ambulance. Other people on here have helped me a lot, my woodworking skills are slightly less than my brain surgery skills so I can’t help back that way, but I know Fusion 360 and can 3d print pretty well.

Ill send it for free in the uk as well.

rob

A 'service' often requested on here Rob. Thanks for offering.

Sorry, been busy/distracted/a bit rubbish.

The stuff I bought is the 38mm from here (other fine sellers exist):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224353102332
And here are a few of the bits - fits Bosch router outlets and Makita railsaw outlet snugly but pulls back off. The Henry nozzle isn't as snug but stays in place while working.

IMG_0516.JPG

IMG_0517 (1).JPG

If you send me accurate dimensions for the adaptor, I’ll print one up for a small donation of your choice to the North West Air Ambulance.

Indeed, this is a very kind offer. I am not sure, though, if it is that straightforward to 3D-print an adapter for this dust port based on measures. I will look around on thingiverse to see if someone has designed an attachment before. That would be nice!

Let me explain:

The dust port is composed of two parts: The entrance is 43mm OD and 39mm ID with 1.5mm ridges (36 mm ID ridge-to-ridge). The rest of the pipe is 39mm OD and 35mm ID, what makes it a normal dust port -- except that this second section seems not to be long enough to have enough holding power.

Here are a couple of pictures:

IMG_0542.jpeg IMG_0543.jpeg

While we are at it, I also have a GST 150 CE jigsaw. Again, awesome tool, with a weird dust port: 22mm ID, 26mm OD, with a 1mm-thick spiral (28mm OD on the spiral). That one doesn't fit any of my vacuum nozzles either (see pic below).

IMG_0544.jpeg

The closest nozzle I find in the cen-tech system is the one below, but I am afraid that if the nozzle is not rubberized, it won't be a secure fit. Note that cen-tech doesn't claim their products are Bosch-compatible.

Screen Shot 2022-02-05 at 12.32.29 PM.png

So, thanks for all the comments, and any further ideas you have. I also wanted to complete this post for the posterity, and I will report back once I get it all working.

Now, one funny point: I have plenty of Bosch DIY tools, and I have never had so much trouble with them. Bosch pro is a real compatibility mess. Dust ports, guide rails, guide rail adapters, everything is weird and incompatible across models. I have spent so much time on concocting solutions and modifying adapters. Unbelievable.

@retrography "Bosch pro is a real compatibility mess. " Seems so. Could you make it easier by one adapter from 'real' Bosch to a standard pipe size (you choose) and then adapt from that to whatever?

No idea what 'standard' means in this context! Perhaps choose one of the makers you like (or have other tools)?

Back