Adams Workshop Build Thread.... got walls & a roof!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looking good mate. When does the actual build start? after christams would seem a reasonable guess, but when is the plan?

Hi Adam
Looks great so far - and I guess a bit bigger than your last one... :lol:
Cheers
Stewart

Freetochat":2bi3wupy said:
Adam - a good start. Are you going to overlay with a wooden floor, or work off concrete?

Yes. The floor will be raised on joists, which will sit on strips of roofing felt to stop the moisture going up into them. I found this quite successfull on the previous workshop

Tony":2bi3wupy said:
Looking good mate. When does the actual build start? after christams would seem a reasonable guess, but when is the plan?

Dunno, depends on time, and my back. It'll be built in "modular" form, so that all the panels can be taken down and reconfigured in a new house/location if I ever need.

Adam

Barry Burgess":2trevf8l said:
Adam did you fall on your sword and move the build to PROJECTS or was it the midland effect??
Barry

I moved it. I only just noticed it was in General when I bumped it with the latest pictures.

Adam

hows it coming on adam ???
a bit quiet from your end or has the weather slowed the progress ??

Well, I've got the electrics in, setup on a temporary post just next to the concrete plinth, and bought a floodlight so I can work at night. I figured you might as well get the electrics for the chop saw setup before you start building rather than wasting time running up and down with extension cables each day. Whilst I was at it, I wired the summer house, so I've got lights, power, and a dedicated outlut to run the table saw, so should be able to make any difficult parts on the tablesaw as well. I also cleared the bench, so am officially "up-and-running" in the temporary workshop.

Adam

So heres the electrics. The little box has a built in RCD and its waterproof. I've also got a piece of roofing felt which I cover it over. Its got a chunk of wood on it to weigh it down.

You can see I bring the compressor down on the cart so I don't have to lift it. It does have wheels but the hand isn't really long enough to move it around the garden.

74038916.jpg

I've been working in the summer house, preparing the parts for the frames. Its warmer!

74038895.jpg

I've also cut a recess on some of the cross pieces for the window. I ordered them this morning. Double glazed units - in 4-20-4 clear glass. They will be mounted very high (for security) and although they won't let as much light in, my previous workshop relied entirely on fluorescent lights so I'm not overly bothered. Its security thats top of my list! Out of interest, the prices for the glass ranged from £25 each to £9.80 each. Needless to say I went for the cheaper. Specification was the same for both types. What a difference.

74038927.jpg

Its going to be covered in shiplap - I need to rip a small amount of the bottom piece - otherwise the overhang will be too much.

First though, I need to trim them to length - the sliding table with a stop is ideal for repeatable cuts...

74038925.jpg

74038921.jpg

Heres a pile ready for use...

74038919.jpg

Back to the frames now. With a little difficulty, I am able to make about 5 in the summerhouse before I'm stuck for space

74038893.jpg

And getting the Tyvek Housewrap on with a staple gun..

74038897.jpg

Then nailing a upright on.

74038902.jpg

This is more like it - outside on a sunny day... I had to make a couple of trestles quickly...

74038929.jpg

I'm mainly using these for construction

74038935.jpg

Not all power tools - these cheap hardpoint saws are great.

74038933.jpg

My "new" erbauer driver copes admirably with screwing them up tight.

74038931.jpg

More housewrap...

74038937.jpg

First piece of shiplap on...

74038939.jpg

74038904.jpg

74038906.jpg

74038908.jpg

One finished frame.

74038914.jpg

More part built frames...

74038918.jpg

Quick lick of preservative

74038941.jpg

Three finished so far

74038943.jpg

Adam

Uurrgghh snow. Not very conducive to work!

76014455.jpg

Why does every project create so many TUITs? Anyway, I wanted a bit more security, and privacy for what I'm upto so firstly get the back fence sorted. Its allottments behind, so one day I may get a gardening urge, and in the meantime, a gate will do!

76014431.jpg

And finished.

76014433.jpg

76014432.jpg

All the frames are done now. They still need painting but that will be done later.

76014435.jpg

Even the door frame is done. I've screwed a couple of braces across for the time being. It will hold a sheet of plywood wide, and I just need to trim the end off a sheet. So it should look nice and square, and plenty wide enough to get all my kit in and out.

76014436.jpg

The plywood floor sits on 2 x 3" joists. These in turn sit on roofing felt. This stops moisture from the concrete getting up into the floor. It worked really well in my last workshop, so I thought I'd do it again. The plan is to fill the gap with 50mm polystyrene, leaving a small gap that air can move through, helping to keep everything dry underneath.

76014434.jpg

And I've carried all my timber down. Phew.. 50 lengths of 4.5m, and lots of OSB and plywood.

76014437.jpg

Got to cut a few sheets of ply. God only knows what I'm doing with that saw.

76014439.jpg

My little LN put to good use once again cleaning splinters.

76014438.jpg

Making the floor. It'll be 3.25metes wide, which requires a small additional piece to add to the standard length of 244cm. I choose to add an additional 81cm, which is exactly 1/3 of a sheet after saw kerfs. Again, it minimises the number of cuts I have to make.

76014440.jpg

And remembering to draw lines so I know where to screw into once the walls are placed on... DAMHIKT. Lets just say I've built a workshop very similar before...

76014441.jpg

The main sheets.

76014442.jpg

Deciding on cross piece for the roofing "A" frames. They are 27 degrees, which means was carefully calculated to ensure each 4.5m length of timber had one cut, giving one floor joist, and 1 roof beam. 1 is 2.5m, and 1 is 2m.

76014443.jpg

All angles cut, and you can see the floor stacked up underneath. Its really feeling like I'm making progress now.

76014446.jpg

Heebee jeebies I made a jig. I am not using a single piece to form the apex, so need to attach each half across to its opposite number. I'm using 4 screws, 2 x 100mm and 2 x 150mm.

76014447.jpg

Heres it after

76014448.jpg

Drill the cross piece

76014449.jpg

Its bolted with coach bolts and penny washers.

76014450.jpg

Having a check. I've decided the cross piece isn't low enough.

76014451.jpg

Beth has chickenpox so I'm on annual leave. Fortunately, the baby monitor works to the bottom of the garden and she slept for 2 hours. Not a bad stretch to get some more work done!

76014452.jpg

This is more like it though. Evenings working in the dark. Thankfully I setup those floodlights at the start.

76014453.jpg

76014454.jpg

Watch this space....

Brilliant thread Adam I am adding to my workshop and I have picked up a few ideas from you so thankyou...

waterhead37":2m7ivy92 said:
You're busy as one of your bees! I hope the back is holding up?

Touch wood. Yes. It was a lot of wood to carry, and I got help with the sheets. I'm wearing a back belt for support a lot of the time, and despite my skepticism, have started pilates classes, and they really seem to be helping.

Adam

Adam I have been doing pilates for the past 6 months and, although sadly it doesn't help my severe back problem as such, I love it! I seriously think its something that should be taught at school!

looking good adam
now were into spring you may have it finished for summer
hope your back holds up mate
mel

Back