Ad stopper in Youtube!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adblock plus.
its free =D>
you do get a couple seconds blank screen each time the ad is blocked.

I have an 11 year old laptop, running vista, and am connected via a very questionable microwave transceiver. :shock:
That might explain my uniquness. :roll:
In which case I'm really quite happy with a couple second gap =D> =D> =D>

sunnybob":307r7lhu said:
I have an 11 year old laptop, running vista, and am connected via a very questionable microwave transceiver. :shock:

You're "running" Vista? Nasty. You can get a cream from the doctor for that.

Have you tried Linux? At least it would be up to date, and secure. I dread to think what unpleasantness has managed to sneak into you Vista over the years. I'm feeling grubby just thinking about it. "Ewww!"

You can boot Linux from a CD or thumbdrive (your laptop may not agree with that statement)so you wouldn't need to make any changes to you current o/s. Give it a spin, and see if you and your computer like it. There is a good chance that it would be faster, and here's a thing: there are (with a caviat - almost) NO viruses - you don't need antivirus software!

I can recommend Linux Mint, which looks just like windows, but without all the Microsoft crud. https://www.linuxmint.com/ . Open source, free, and 65,000 different programs available (also free) for you to install from its own repositories. Linux is a very cool thing to get involved with, and you don't have to be a nerd, either. It can do anythingwindows Vista can do, and probably quite a lot more, too.

If your laptop is so old it needs a small OS there are a number of flavours of Linux for that, too: https://linuxhint.com/best-linux-distri ... ld-laptop/

Could make your old pooter feel brand-new.

Steve Maskery":32n24f75 said:
If adverts are removed, how are videos funded?
Discuss.

By Google and YouTube selling your data. Your children's data. Your dog's data. The data from anyone who has ever visited your house, etc.

If a service on the internet is "free", then <you> are the product. Think of it as "I've already paid".

Trainee neophyte":392n52pq said:
sunnybob":392n52pq said:

You're "running" Vista? Nasty. You can get a cream from the doctor for that.

Have you tried Linux? At least it would be up to date, and secure. I dread to think what unpleasantness has managed to sneak into you Vista over the years. I'm feeling grubby just thinking about it. "Ewww!"

You can boot Linux from a CD or thumbdrive (your laptop may not agree with that statement)so you wouldn't need to make any changes to you current o/s. Give it a spin, and see if you and your computer like it. There is a good chance that it would be faster, and here's a thing: there are (with a caviat - almost) NO viruses - you don't need antivirus software!

I can recommend Linux Mint, which looks just like windows, but without all the Microsoft crud. https://www.linuxmint.com/ . Open source, free, and 65,000 different programs available (also free) for you to install from its own repositories. Linux is a very cool thing to get involved with, and you don't have to be a nerd, either. It can do anythingwindows Vista can do, and probably quite a lot more, too.

If your laptop is so old it needs a small OS there are a number of flavours of Linux for that, too: https://linuxhint.com/best-linux-distri ... ld-laptop/

Could make your old pooter feel brand-new.

My eyes saw all that, but my brain just started singing The Sound of Music :roll: :roll:

many years ago I was into computers as a hobby, that was when the cutting edge was windows 3.5 :shock:
Having gone through 3, 3.5, 95, 98, XP and finally vista (not to mention the wifes 8, 8.1, and now the dreaded 10),I just cant be bothered to keep up any more.
This laptop has outlived all expectations, even though the DVD drive hasnt worked since the ants ate the hard drive, and it overheats without the aid of a secondary fan. It just wouldnt feel right discarding it till the last few seconds of its life (I thought that had happened this week, but it had a miracle recovery).

The ad blockers have helped us to some extent, but now, arguably, the adverts are worse! You get the content creater now doing the horribly scripted marketing, and then pretending that they already have said product and just couldn't be without it.

Also not forgeting the cheesy smile and "Thanks <Product Brand>" at the end of the advertisement!

Having said all that, I understand why they do it, and we can simply skip forwards :)

Hurray for ← and → : Seek backward/forward 5 seconds.

Steve Maskery":183zr30q said:
Hmm. I do understand the point you are making, but that is not funding videos. At least, it doesn't fund mine.

I think YouTube, advertising and monetising is in flux, somewhat. The idea that just because a lot of people watch a video means that video is worth money may be temporary. It doesn't help that there are, finally, some competitors to YouTube, but that is diluting the audience, so reducing the income stream.

If I was in the business of YouTube videos, I would be looking for adding value - both for the audience, and for me. I don't know what that would entail, but I would be worried about depending on YouTube, who seem to be to be pretty arbitrary when it comes to changing the rules, demonetising chanels, and generally mucking about with your business. Are there any business models that don't depend on Google/YouTube advertising revenue? I assume you would need paying subscribers, but you might be able to use part of that income to provide "free gifts", training or masterclass opportunities, all to attract more paying subscribers. Please don't think I'm trying to tell you how to run your business - I'm just thinking out loud.

Nothing I've come up with sounds like fun, or easy, or even profitable, but then being in business is hard graft and long hours. Also, don't forget the 80/20 rule: most businesses get 80% of their revenue from20%of their effort, but then spend 80% of their effort doing something not profitable. It's Pareto's rule, I believe, or something similar.

Finally, I'm just a farmer, not even living in the right country - feel free to completely ignore everything above (homer)

What you say is true TN, I understand where you are coming from. But the sad fact is that far too few people are prepared to pay for video knowledge. My DVD sales are 5% of what they used to be. Probably less then that, actually. Now there are many reasons for that, not least because I've resisted the Download route until recently, and my videography quality of my legacy DVDs leaves something to be desired, by today's standards. I know that. The quality of the content is, despite being some of the best around, and rather ironically, rather irrelevant. :(

I also understand that I have a microscopic YT footprint. Nowhere near enough even to be considered for a payment structure. I've never been paid a penny by YT. That not just a whinge, it is simply a fact. And I don't want to get myself into a position where I've got to produce "this week's video" when I don't really have anything terribly good to offer.

But people who are better at it than I am, who can produce the weekly video, that is worth watching, only get anything back by the ads. Nobody else funds them. And with a niche market like ours it is very difficult to get the required numbers.

Film a cat sleeping in front of a log fire and I reckon you are made for life. But do I want to produce that? Er, no.

So yes, Big Data may fund the platform, but if there are no adverts, how do the content makers themselves get paid for what they contribute? Or are we just expected do it out of love for our fellow man?

Steve Maskery":211btak1 said:
.....But people who are better at it than I am, who can produce the weekly video, that is worth watching, only get anything back by the ads. Nobody else funds them.......

That's not strictly so, Steve. Some Youtubers get paid by sponsors (they're well worth avoiding), and some raise rather a lot of money using Patreon. Young Leo Sampson, building a replica of a 1900s wooden racing yacht, for instance, is receiving most of his income from Patreon and direct donations. People (private individuals)also send him tools directly.

Steve Maskery":4shf6snr said:
What you say is true TN, I understand where you are coming from. But the sad fact is that far too few people are prepared to pay for video knowledge. My DVD sales are 5% of what they used to be. Probably less then that, actually. Now there are many reasons for that, not least because I've resisted the Download route until recently, and my videography quality of my legacy DVDs leaves something to be desired, by today's standards. I know that. The quality of the content is, despite being some of the best around, and rather ironically, rather irrelevant. :(

I also understand that I have a microscopic YT footprint. Nowhere near enough even to be considered for a payment structure. I've never been paid a penny by YT. That not just a whinge, it is simply a fact. And I don't want to get myself into a position where I've got to produce "this week's video" when I don't really have anything terribly good to offer.

But people who are better at it than I am, who can produce the weekly video, that is worth watching, only get anything back by the ads. Nobody else funds them. And with a niche market like ours it is very difficult to get the required numbers.

Film a cat sleeping in front of a log fire and I reckon you are made for life. But do I want to produce that? Er, no.

So yes, Big Data may fund the platform, but if there are no adverts, how do the content makers themselves get paid for what they contribute? Or are we just expected do it out of love for our fellow man?

Not only do I not have your skills and knowledge, I never will never have that. The idea that I am pontificating on the internet, offering advice to a master, seems laughable. All I can say is, if you are not making money from that side of your business, is it worth continuing with it? Or is it something you want to do as a labour of love? Different motivation.

The sad thing with YouTube is that content is free, so it is valued as such. Fine for consumers of content - not so fine for the creators (or do we call them makers?)

MikeG.":33raiyqd said:
Steve Maskery":33raiyqd said:
.....But people who are better at it than I am, who can produce the weekly video, that is worth watching, only get anything back by the ads. Nobody else funds them.......

That's not strictly so, Steve. Some Youtubers get paid by sponsors (they're well worth avoiding), and some raise rather a lot of money using Patreon. Young Leo Sampson, building a replica of a 1900s wooden racing yacht, for instance, is receiving most of his income from Patreon and direct donations. People (private individuals)also send him tools directly.

Indeed, Sampson gets by with donations, Patreon, Amazon wish list and tools sent directly although he is restoring and repairing Tally-Ho rather than creating a replica. The man would be shocked to hear anybody say he was building a replica.

Back