Acupanel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Acupanel advice please My daughter asked me to fit Acupanel to a plasterboard walls so what screws should i be using any advice most appreciated Mock

The Acupanel range has been designed to be installed with ease. We recommend either screwing the panels straight into the wall, using the correct fixings, through the acoustic felt or if you are looking to increase the sound properties further, screwing them into batons.

That was copy and paste. I havent used it, but if it is a thick felt, you shouldnt need to isolate the fixings. Often if you want to reduce vibration / transfer, you isolate the fixings using rubber washers and things. If you wanted to be thorough, you could contact the supplier, but i doubt you'll need resilient bar etc

The Acupanel range has been designed to be installed with ease. We recommend either screwing the panels straight into the wall, using the correct fixings, through the acoustic felt or if you are looking to increase the sound properties further, screwing them into batons.

That was copy and paste. I havent used it, but if it is a thick felt, you shouldnt need to isolate the fixings. Often if you want to reduce vibration / transfer, you isolate the fixings using rubber washers and things. If you wanted to be thorough, you could contact the supplier, but i doubt you'll need resilient bar etc
Thanks for that . I've seen a few video showing them drilling it straight onto the wall no plugs behind so I think I can drill black screws through the felt and into the plaster boards behind with no fixings or batons to screw onto but would plasterboard screw be enough to hold the acupanel

Last edited:
I would never suggest any fixing to rely on plaster board without any mechanical anchor behind it, screws simply wont hold. the plasterboard has to be fixed via one of 2 means, dot and dab in which case there will be a void behind circa 20mm or timber / metal stud wall behind into which it is fixed. besides plaster board fixings you option are as follows;

dot and dab - standard screw and plug, thickness of panel + plasterboard with skim (15mm) + 25mm for cavity + 50mm into wall = screw length. tap the wall the dots should be roughly 4-6 inches in diameter fix as close to the dots prefereably through them to prevent deflecting the board and cracking plaster.

stud wall - take a decent magnet and run it around on the wall, it will be drawn to the drywall screws fixed into the studs and show you where they are, measure 400 or 600mm from the first screw you find to give you the next studs rough location, check with magnet again and mark studs with a plumb pencil line. timber studs fix with a wood screw metal studs fix with a fine thread black phosphate drywall screw.

sorry if I've miss understood your aim but hopefully theres some usual info in my ramblings

I will also add if acoustic isolation from an adjoining room is your intention that screws fixed into any wall will transfer sound, its just physics, mass and disrupting the sounds path are the only real defence against transmission of sound and so a secondary wall disconnected from the original wall is the best option.

a less effective and fairly expensive option it to use green acoustic adhesive to fix the panel to the walls.

Back