Acrylic Corian Pen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi help needed please :mrgreen: just turned my first Acrylic Corian Pen and I am having problems getting a good finish, I have sanded down to 1000 grt applied 3 coats of CA. Its black with a white fleck, when I put on the wax polish it shines when wet :D as soon as I polish it it goes a bit milky :( . Any ideas what's wrong or how do you finish yours I do not a buffing set up.

is it acrylic or corian ?
either way..back away from the ca...unless the blank is porous

sand back to the blank..remove the ca
got any finer grit ...micromesh
take it down to 12000 it wont need polishing..but u could use a car polish G3

dont have to take my word for it
someone else will be along shortly

Steve

+1 for both bits of advice above. the only thing I add to the pen is microcrystaline wax and that is not to enhance the look but to help stop showing finger prints

Just watch you don't over sand it now and reduce the sizes. I used to do that.

For corian/acrylic/polyester, i sand using 320g cloth tape and soapy water initially if required, then 600g wet and dry (wet)
Then a quick bit of 1200g, followed by a bit of g3 type paste (think mine is tcut scratch remover- toothpaste tube stuff, then t'cut on a soft cloth.

Everyone has different ways. I head the soap infused brillo pad things are good, but not tried it myself.

just an update I re-sanded to get rid of the CA, as I have no T-cut :idea: I used tooth paste :) then I waxed it with car wax polish, not perfect but will have to do :D
100_2098[1].jpg

Many thanks =D> for all your help will do better on the next one :D

Attachments

• 100_2098[1].jpg
    100_2098[1].jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 994
Getting there look at this pen as this is somewhere near the finish you want to aim for or better. It is sanded with THESE and then I applied renaissance wax to protect against finger marks as I said in my first post

BlueStiltonCigar.jpg

Back