Acorns?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
DSCF0134.JPG
DSCF0132.JPG

I can't get close enough to get a leaf, but as far as I can see it's an oak. I've never seen "acorns" anything like this, though. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSCF0132.JPG
    DSCF0132.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCF0134.JPG
    DSCF0134.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 397
That seems very likely - if so, it's one hell of an infestation - there are thousands of these and no normal acorns. There are thousands of Quercus Cerris n Cornwall, it's thought they were commonly planted to harvest as pit props as they are quicker growing than Petraea or Robur.

I took a similar picture in Leeds to ask the same question. seen the odd one before, but not as many as I have this year.

There here in abundance in North Glos; acorns as well so not all blossom was infected.
Brian

I have an oak tree at the bottom of my garden. Normally has lots of proper acorns, this year they are just as in your picture.

I seem to have seen loads more than usual this year. Maybe I have been looking out for them more since Custards thread last August?
I remember someone showing me pignuts years ago and being a bit startled as they started appearing all around me once I knew what to look for.

tannin-iron-staining-oak-galls-t113528.html?hilit=oak%20galls
Page 2 here:
round-cafe-table-t101305-15.html
Need to take a bag or two and get the kids filling them up on the way back from the school run. They are all over the place at the moment.

Latest posts

Back