"Ace" tapping machine as a pillar drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been offered for sale an old "Ace" tapping machine. Whilst I do occasionally tap threads, I really only want it as a pillar drill.

However, as it was designed to slowly cut threads, is it likely to be too slow to use as a pillar drill (i.e. to drill holes in wood and/or metal)?

My thinking is slow wouldn't be a problem if using an auger-type bit (in wood, obvs), as hand braces are only turned slowly?

Unfortunately, the speed isn't marked on the machine, but it looks very nicely made, and I struggle to resist vintage tools.

Many thanks

Pick up an old English lump of cast iron pillar drill and refurbish it. Three phase models will be cheaper and allow use of an inverter to give variable speed.
A machine that only need a belt change very rarely for extremes of speed/torque are a joy to use and you can drill at the correct speed for the drill size and material at the turn of a knob.

I only ever use my drill press on it's slowest speed (about 200rpm) and don't have any trouble so maybe you be ok.

I have been offered for sale an old "Ace" tapping machine. Whilst I do occasionally tap threads, I really only want it as a pillar drill.

However, as it was designed to slowly cut threads, is it likely to be too slow to use as a pillar drill (i.e. to drill holes in wood and/or metal)?

My thinking is slow wouldn't be a problem if using an auger-type bit (in wood, obvs), as hand braces are only turned slowly?

Unfortunately, the speed isn't marked on the machine, but it looks very nicely made, and I struggle to resist vintage tools.

Many thanks
It’s as suitable for drilling as your kitchenaid mixer, they are however kinda pricey, why not sell it and buy a drill (which are much cheaper)
Aidan

I'd want it , but for tapping! First time I power tapped on the mill was a revelation!

You lot are no help whatsoever! You were supposed to tell me it was a great idea, with no shortcomings whatsoever. Hmmmmph

Just joking, obviously. Thanks all for replying, and happy Friday

Latest posts

Back