Accurate mitres and bevels.... Which saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigs

Established Member
Reaction score
Neither my current table saw or mitre saw are delivering accurate miter/bevel cuts no matter how much Ive tried to tune them up (Axminster ts200 and cheap Makita mitre saw) so the question is will the festool kapex 60 deliver the accurate cuts I'm after, or a new table saw ??

A TS that you cannot rely upon for accurate cutting is only fit for scrap. You just can't trust it.
You can always use the mitre saw to rough cut oversize and refine the length and angle on a decent TS

marcros":2felqau8 said:
is a shooting board an option for you?
Yes and has been used regularly but I'm in a position to upgrade tools through the business so I figure why not. I dont mind using the shooting board btw but the amount of blade deflection off the mitre saw is ridiculous and the table saw is pretty much only useful for ripping poorly

Trigs":12vdtss9 said:
Neither my current table saw or mitre saw are delivering accurate miter/bevel cuts no matter how much Ive tried to tune them up (Axminster ts200 and cheap Makita mitre saw) so the question is will the festool kapex 60 deliver the accurate cuts I'm after, or a new table saw ??

No it won't.

I have a Kapex 120 and it is good accuracy wise once tuned up, I would expect the Kapex 60 to be just as good if not better since it is smaller. Bear in mind though that they are portable power tools so will never be as accurate as a good quality table saw. I have never found my Kapex lacking in accuracy though as long as you use it sensibly. I was cutting some 145 mm x 70 mm Sapele at 52 degrees with mine today and it was spot on but I was taking it steady.

It can improve some mitre cuts if you clamp the stock, you don't always realise how sometimes the timber gets pulled very slightly in to the blade as you are cutting.

It does help to have a backing board behind thin bits as they can bend back very slightly as you cut them if not fully supported.

Cheers all, I think the Kapex is a must especially as it gets used out on jobs not just the workshop and it has to be better than the current makita, although it has served me well enough for 14 years.

As for the table saw, I've decided why not, it gets used most days and at the very least it'll be safer than the current TS and certainly more accurate.

I agree with Doug,...I was using my Kapex just last week to cut compound mitres on 70mm x 70mm Ash and they were bang on. I've had mine 6 years and I do check its accuracy every now and then but I've never needed to adjust it. Mine gets used in my workshop and out on site.

Trigs":1e8u44ps said:
Cheers all, I think the Kapex is a must especially as it gets used out on jobs not just the workshop

If you are using it out and about the UG cart and wings etc are excellent (with the Kapex 120 anyway), not cheap but work really well.

I've no idea what your set up is but. if timber isnt straight and flat it will be impossible to mitre it correctly. sharp blades make a huge difference to accuracy.

I use a DeWalt 305 sliding miter saw.....after a fettle it's acurate every time and so easy to use.....
PROVIDED u use a high quality blade.....I think my last blade was about £100, no tearout at the back and no deflection.......
I use a lot of high end wood.......
I only use the cheaper blades for Laminate flooring and after that job just bin the blade....they are not worth sharpeing.....

Took delivery of the Kapex 60. First thoughts are im well impressed, excellent quality in terms of build and cutting ability, smooth action and the angle finding jig is excellent, no more compass and pencil on site. I'll pick up a second blade for use on the proper quality woods I use in the workshop and keep another for any site jobs.

Also while was at it I ordered I ordered a new table saw from Axminster, the trade 254 that takes a dado stack, fingers crossed it's as good as the write up . Cheers for the replies

I have a very average Dewalt jobsite saw which can only dream of being accurate. However, the purchase of the incra 1000 made the cuts accurate as anything.

Latest posts

Back