ACCOYA - STAINING

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belladonna01

Reaction score
Hello fellow wooden tops, Have any of you got advice please. Iam making up two hinged garage doors to replace the old up and over type. The client wanted Accoya,.I Have to match in the finish to the near entrance door, this is softwood and coated in the Sadolin Teak , colour - a very dark brown. Iam told that this coating isn't suitable for Accoya ,due to the acidity in the wood. a friend recommends the use of Sikkens or Osmo. have you any dealings with this?

Contact Sadolin directly. I've always found that the technical departments of finish manufacturers are pretty good with enquiries like these.

The problem with asking on the internet is you've no idea who's giving you advice, could be someone with loads of practical experience, or it could be a complete BS artist...this forum has examples of both!

You will really struggle to colour match regular softwood and Accoya anyway even if it's the same exact same stain and overcoat, You'll get it fairly close but it would be very difficult to get it exactly the same without adjusting the stain a little. Accoya is also an absolute pain to stain because of the black markings and sticker marks that are prevalent throughout the timber, unless you plane them fully out it will look absolutely horrendous.

I have no idea about the Sadolin stains on the Accoya, you'd have to ask Sadolin about it. I know for a fact that Sikkens and Osmo works fine and you do get good results with the Teknos stains and overcoats if you want another alternative that will mix to any colour/shade you want.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

I visited my local Sickkens stockists today, took in a sample of Accoya, the saleswoman phoned the Sikkens helpdesk she explained the wood was Accoya , the advice given back was to wipe the surfaces with methylated spirit before the primer coat , then two top coats. When i questioned the need of the meths they said it was to remove the oiliness that the wood has. I was aware of it being acidic but are they correct about it being oily? it doesn't appear to be. So would it be necessary to wipe down with the meths, or should I skip that? .

As far as I know, there is absolutely no oil in Accoya due to the fact that it's just treated pine. The only thing that's added is acetic acid.

I think the Meths suggestion is just a catch-all answer which covers their own backs when something does go wrong, "Did you wipe with Meths before applying? No? It's your own bloody fault then".

Back