Accoya - is it as good as the hype?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about the reality of Accoya. The hype says its the scientific benchmark for dimensional stability in wood. Also that its virtually resistant to fungal and insect attack because the acetylation process alters it's chemistry to such an extent that the bugs don't want to eat it any more.

Whilst some of that sounds entirely plausible, I struggle to believe it hook line and sinker.

Anyone had any experience making windows or other such things that really require dimensional stability and can vouch for what it's like to work and the above claims?

Hi Bob.
We have been using Accoya for over 8 years now, and it has proved a game changer for us. It is the only wood we offer for exterior joinery, other than European Oak. What a lot of people don't realise is that the process is not a recent innovation. It was first done as early as 1927, but only in recent years has it become economically viable to produce in large volume. I think this is why they are so confident in their claims as to it's durability. I did hear that they may be extending the 50 year unconditional guarantee to 70 years. We have made many batches of doors and windows, and have never been called back to ease any of them. The stuff just doesn't move. one great advantage from this is making sliding sash windows, as we fit our brush seals in the outer edge of the sashes, confident in the fact that the sash will not expand and bind. this means the brushes are hidden from view, and never get painted up. One of the first batches of windows we made was painted with acrylic primer, followed by dulux water based weather shield. That was 8 years ago now, and I drive by them every day and they look as good as the day we fitted them. There has been zero breakdown in the paint, and no movement in any of the joinery.

From my experience it does what it says, wish all my customers would pay the extra for it.

Downsides are expensive, brittle, need to use stainless or brass fixings (good practice really), have to plane maybe 5mm off each face if staining as the process leaves dark marks (but it does come slightly oversize).

It is good to work as long as your tools are sharp and you can buy it in many sizes so little waste.

It is becoming more popular all the time yet the price keeps going up.

Check out Tricoya MDF, compliments it really well.

Doug

Doug71":1exzpugf said:
From my experience it does what it says, wish all my customers would pay the extra for it.

Downsides are expensive, brittle, need to use stainless or brass fixings (good practice really), have to plane maybe 5mm off each face if staining as the process leaves dark marks (but it does come slightly oversize).

It is good to work as long as your tools are sharp and you can buy it in many sizes so little waste.

It is becoming more popular all the time yet the price keeps going up.

Check out Tricoya MDF, compliments it really well.

Doug

Hello,

Of course the price keeps going up, there is no competition! I don't doubt the material is good, but when no one else is allowed to produce it, the more popular it becomes the more the manufacturer can push up the costs. I suppose we can't blame them, costs would only go down if the product was lousy and the manufacturer needed to shift it by enticement.

Mike.

Interesting chaps, that's very useful information. So from what you say it sounds like just a single player has a patent on the process? Also, with respect to the pricing, is it more expensive, pound for pound than European Oak?

I've been using it for some DIY sash windows. I've been converting rough sawn accoya to the sizes and profiles I need. Totally knot free it machines nicely, but is quite brittle so careful control of spelching is needed. Also, you can't use PVA glue - has to be PU which is a bit messier. It's around £2K cu.m. so similar to oak, but a heck of a lot easier to machine!

Back