Accoya and Titebond 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
So just got in after a long day in workshop, been making some MDF doors for a built in which has to be finished Friday evening.

Needed to get the doors glued up this evening to keep things on schedule so stayed late to do this. Soon as I got home I realised I have used some Accoya dominos that I had kicking around for the joints and stuck them together with Titebond 2 glue.

I know you should use PU glue with Accoya, does anyone have any experience of Titebond and Accoya, does it stick to it at all or will I be remaking the doors #-o

I believe you will be remaking the doors, PVA doesn't stick, at all. If I recall, Steve Maskery had a bad experience with D4 PVA where the joints peeled apart.

You should be alright if it was just the dominoes though.

Edit, Steve's thread is here: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/post1274905.html

Edit again, I see you were already commenting in that thread :lol:

I'm hoping they will be okay as there was some MDF to MDF glue contact between shoulders and stiles, also doors not that big.

Accoya is great but it does have its annoying quirks.

A builder I know came in for a bit of help the other day, he had the job of fitting a large portico that some joinery firm had made. Real nice thing, all Accoya, big turned columns and big mouldings etc cost about £6k. He had got most of it done but was struggling cutting some of the mouldings so I cut them for him. He looked puzzled when I gave him a box of stainless pins and some PU glue to fit them with, I explained why and his face dropped as he had only used pva glue and normal pins and screws on the rest of it. I can picture the little rust marks showing through the paintwork in a few months spoiling an otherwise nice job.

Maybe you can peg into the dominos with some dowels (on the inside of the door) for some mechanical grip?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Back