Acacia Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fester

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife bought me this from Aldi's.

20210121_144556.jpg

The Acacia was nice to work with

20210127_132127.jpg

20210127_132050.jpg

Half a bottle of superglue to make it shiny.

Toodlepip

Fester

Hi Fester,have you tried burnishing as a finish or finish before waxing,I think that acacia would look lovely waxed or lightly coated with shellac.....pretty sure it would burnish lovely too.

Richard,

Thanks for the advice. No I havn't tried it but there is so much I have not tried I do not know where to start. Main problem is a very tight budget.

I do not have wax or burnishing wheel but I do have some superglue so I started with that. I am sure I will get round to other finishes as time goes on and funds become available.;)

Toodlepip

Brian

Hi Brian,
All you need to burnish is the shaving you have just generated.You have to remove the tool rest to make the operation safe,
get a handful of shavings and offer them to your work adding some pressure,you will generate heat .....so discard and get some more.
you can also use wet and dry ,say 320 grit followed by 600.
You will be surprised with the results.....good quality beeswax or carnauba wax will work beautifully applied with a coarse rag.It appears from you work that you are scraping which won’t give you the same quality finish as cutting,you will have to remove the fine rings before you burnish with 120 grit.
but remember,safety first,clear the rest and keep the rags small.

WOW - that sounds cheap, I like it.:D Thanks.

I have enough chopping board left to make a couple more - it will be nice to do a comparison.

Toodlepip

Fester

Latest posts

Back