Abrasive choices and preferences.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_C

Established Member
Reaction score
I normally sand to 400 and finish with oil, sometimes I go a bit further and finish with microcrystalline wax. These days I rarely need to start below 120 unless it's a particularly difficult piece.

I've used a variety of cheap and cheerful abrasive papers, occasionally sianet/abranet type and recently saw a demo sanded to 240 with paper and finished with Yorkshire grit paste prior to waxing.

It's getting time to re-stock. What are peoples preferences for methods, sources and brands? It's not about cost per se but a sensible balance of cost, durability and value. Its non commercial hobby stuff, so speed is not a particular issue.

Generally make out of Ash or Oak
Usually sand to 240 sanding sealer De-Nib using 400 the Black Byson was applied with a cloth and buffed using an unstitched cotton wheel on a buffer
If making a cutting board or similar sand to 400 spray with water to raise the grain flat with 400 then use food safe mineral oil 2 or 3 coats
Sanding Sealer = Chestnut
Wax = Liberon
Food Safe Oil Chestnut or Bulk food safe mineral oil
Anything heading for the garden or out doors several coats of Tung Oil
Abrasives I have tried pretty much everything my standard is
Mirka Abranet or Abranet Ace depending on grit for orbital or random orbital
12" disc sander Hermes
Laguna drum sander cut my own loadings usually cloth backed 120g which I buy in 50m reels
Hope this helps

Back