Abrasive belts for Sorby Pro Edge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulm

IG paulm_outdoors
Reaction score
Found a source for replacement belts, much cheaper than standard Sorby replacements, made to order in about 48 hours.

Only slight problem is a minimum order quantity for each grit grade of a dozen, and a fiver p&p but still works out a lot cheaper.

Stocked up with a dozen of the 120 grit ceramic belts at £1.96 each plus vat and a share of the p&p makes them around £2.60 each all in versus around £5.48 from the normal retail sources.

To get a finer grit (avoiding aluminium oxide as it blunts in a matter of minutes on hss) had to go with zirconium which is not as good as ceramic but miles better than AO, and got a dozen of those in 240 grit at £1.50 each or £2.05 with vat and p&p. These retail at around £3.65.

So I now have plenty of stock that should last for ages !

If anybody is interested the firm is here http://www.bndabrasives.co.uk/coated-ab ... at_44.html The Sorby belts are not a standard size but they make them up to order and you need 50mm wide by 780mm long, in whatever material you want, just give them a call, they are very friendly and helpful.

If there were a few people interested they may do better prices still for a larger order that could then be received by one member and parcelled out to get better rates still and/or avoid individuals being stuck with a quantity of a dozen or so if they only want less, but I haven't asked them so don't know if the economics would really work versus just buying your own direct from them.

Cheers, Paul

Hmmm, thought this might have attracted more interest/comment than it has, perhaps it's only me who gets excited about saving money (well I am Scottish !) :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

paulm":2wujvkc3 said:
Hmmm, thought this might have attracted more interest/comment than it has, perhaps it's only me who gets excited about saving money (well I am Scottish !) :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

Paul

I may be interested in the future as I have about 20 belts in stock at the moment

Allen

:wink:

Hi Paul.

I`m in the process of restoring a linisher so will be in need of some ceramic belts soon, i was aware of this company as i`ve been searching myself for belt supplies, Jonny D had recommended Abacon though they don`t appear to price on-line.

I would be interested in a group buy if others want to go down that route.

Doug.

Slight variation on the topic - but I've been trying the new abrasive belts Sorby have brought out, in 600 and 3000 grit - very pleased with the sharp polished edge on my turning tools ... not sure if it matters that much on my bowl gouges (but I think it probably should) but on a skew chisel it certainly feels sharper, more controlled, and the surface is better ... and I thought the results off the green belt were just fine before ...

Anyone else tried them?

Just out of interest - how long do the Sorby belts last?
I know it's tricky to answer as it depends on frequency of use, gouge size etc, but a rough idea would be useful.
If you've used a grinder before how does the ProEdge compare?

Duncan

Latest posts

Back