Abranet for Sanding Varnish and Shellac?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Is Mirka Abranet suitable for sanding between coats of varnish?

And separately, when Bob Flexner and others talk about brushing several coats of shellac and sanding them back instead of filling with pumice, is the sanding dust worked into the pores somehow afterwards with the tampon and more shellac, or is the action of sanding itself pushing abraded shellac into the pores?

Do you sweep the surface before applying the next coat?

In this instance would a regular sandpaper work better, as the Abranet excels at moving the abraded particles away from the surface?

Thanks, Paul

Yes it works a treat, wipe clean with a tack cloth or hoover it (y) a brush would do but you then get fine dust in the air and then back down possibly on your next coat.:) or worse still up your nose :eek:

From what I think your asking, no not in any significant amounts anyway.
Body is achieved by using a swirling motion/figure of eights, against the grain, moving the top layer around, effectively pushing it into the grain.
Using an appropriate colour grain filler before starting the polishing stage, will help by filling the majority beforehand.
Hope this helps

And net disc’s are fine, though you still need to remove the dust from the surface before fadding again. Soft brush & Tak rags are best

Abranet is great in general, for just a fine de- nibing I actually like the 220 grit foam pads they sell at morrells. They are a foam sandwiched with black abrasive like wet and dry paper but without the paper.
They are soft so don't knacker fine corners and stuff, also cheap.

Ollie

When I started using the Mirka discs a few years ago I thought they were the bees' knees. With vacuum extraction you can sand ebony and maple side by side with no dust contamination. However, they are expensive and the finer grades tend to tear easily.
I have found another brand -'Sianet '- from Cromwell tools. They are half the price of the Mirka and seem more durable. You can certainly use a 400 grit to denib varnish and shellac. I'd invest in a small compressor which will blow dust out of the wood pores that is otherwise invisible. Cover the piece until the dust has settled.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful. I've also found the finer grits can tear easily Recipio, so I might check 'Sianet' out.

Back