About to take the plunge.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Webbie

Established Member
Reaction score
And buy a record power bs300 but wanted to last minute advice/info.

From what I can see it does not have roller bearings as the guides. Is this a big issue. Is there an upgrade kit?

Also had another issue handed to me as I have found a hardly used?? record power RSBS14 blue model for £350 seems a little high for an item that is nearly 18 years old.

Happy for any advice especially anyone who has had these models before.

Ive been trawling the timternet for a few weeks now and as always money is too tight to mention etc etc.

Currently the RP BS300 is up for £550 and that is as high as I can puch atm.

Looking to use is as an a rounder in my W/Shop a little resawing and making some laminate pieces.

Sorry I seemed to have waffled.....

I bought a used BS300E from this forum and I’m generally very pleased with it, I wanted a BS350 but nothing came up used but so far this has fitted the bill. Even though I’m not the first owner record power have been great, replacing items that were not manufactured properly. For instance the bottom guide casting hadn’t been drilled correctly, so they just sent a new one. I added a thrust bearing to the tensioner, well worth it.

I did need to spend a morning squaring every thing up but to be fair it had been transported on a sack barrow and the back of my car...

Too be honest I haven’t found the guides to be that bad and seem to do a perfectly adequate job. I was concerned about these initially but it’s no longer an issue for me. They’re not the easiest to setup correctly, but you soon get the knack.

Is it worth £550, probably, I don’t think there is anything else in that price range which is as good. Even better if you can pick a used one up for £350.

If you can go and have a look at the BS300 and see what you get. Record do make changes on their tools, some to reduce costs others to fix ongoing problems. I looked at older models and some of them the upper blade guide support was aluminium and not as good as on the later models. Some of the wheels were cast alloy rather than iron, not a deal breaker but worth noting. Spare parts may be concern on an 18 year old machine?

Happy to try and answer any other questions.

I'm teetering on the brink of buying the Axminster AC2606 bandsaw, which is £650. Ouch. Is it significantly better than the record 300? Axminster offering free delivery to Greece helps, and second hand just isn't an option, but I am still umming and ahhing. A lot. Driving the rest of the house up the wall with my indecision. Note that it is £30 cheaper if you buy through Amazon - don't know why. I despise Amazon enough not to bother saving £30, but money is money.

The problem with these things is whatever you want is more expensive than you can afford, but there is no point buying an underpowered / lower quality tool, so what to do? An extra £50 gets you just a little bit more, but an extra £150 gets a little more again, until you have hit £2,000, but it still doesn't quite fit the bill.

Another way of looking at it is we may all be dead by next week, so money doesn't matter - get the good one! Buyer's remorse is a miserable feeling.

(Sorry for the lack of help - i have no idea about which is better, or what an extra £100 does in terms of performance, but I am fully sympathetic to your plight)

Throughout the 80's and 90's, I was a very competitive handgun shooter (we wont talk about B'stard blair).
I was at national level, but didnt often win, until I followed the advice of one of the top shot's in the country.

He told me to "buy the one you just cant quite afford". I did, and suddenly I was doing much better, even winning one national title.
That advice has stuck with me these 30 plus years, and I always pass it on.
NEVER cheapskate yourself. :roll:

Mind, I never did get as good as him, I think it was summed up on his T shirt slogan (the more I practice, the luckier I get). =D> =D>

To put it another way, If its 100 quid too much, it aint too much 8) 8)

There’s a 2.5 year old BS350 on eBay in Exeter which may be of interest, should go within your budget....

Thanks to all of you replies it really is appreciated. The 550 is about 200 more than I can afford but fully understand the need to go as big as I can, so the 550 is already my stretch 250 is alot to the Mrs lol.

Tbf even a basic screw fix would be better than I currently have. I bought the one I have now before the man cave came along. It is a little burgess 3 wheeler. Good bit of fun though seeing how much abuse I can throw at it.

Exeter is just the wrong side of Bristol for me atm. Time is limited with the smallish family.... although I could do with the break.

Anyone else who has one feel free to add to the above.

Looked at the axminster it's £619 atm but im just not feeling it with the axminster one... Not sure why.

Maybe if any one has the axminster one they could give their thoughts. Even better someone who has or and had both.

I have the axminster 350N.
After starting with a cheapish piece of rubbish, purely because I was ignorant of what I wanted to do with my new hobby and knew no better, and struggling for a year with it, I bought the axminster.
I've had it over 3 years now. Apart from the usual initial "fettling" (aka doing what the chinese quality control didnt do) I am happy with it and do not have any plans or wish to change it. =D> 8)

sunnybob":12817d62 said:
Throughout the 80's and 90's, I was a very competitive handgun shooter (we wont talk about B'stard blair).
I was at national level, but didnt often win, until I followed the advice of one of the top shot's in the country.

He told me to "buy the one you just cant quite afford". I did, and suddenly I was doing much better, even winning one national title.

Mind, I never did get as good as him, I think it was summed up on his T shirt slogan (the more I practice, the luckier I get). =D> =D>

So what you're saying is that don't need skill, just better equipment? [WINKING FACE]

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

I have the BS300. The bearings are pretty poor. I upgraded them with the axminster kit. But unfortunatley it does mean some irreversible modifications.

Im happy with it.

transatlantic":319qyey8 said:
sunnybob":319qyey8 said:

So what you're saying is that don't need skill, just better equipment? [WINKING FACE]

Nope (I wish I could have bought my way to champion status though :roll: )
What I'm saying is that mere mortals like me and most people, find it hard enough to be good at something, without the problem of having to use second rate equipment. 8) I bitterly recall the many hours of frustration I had with that first bandsaw, when I could have been learning more woodworking skills (hammer) (hammer)

transatlantic":ymghwqw3 said:
I have the BS300. The bearings are pretty poor. I upgraded them with the axminster kit. But unfortunatley it does mean some irreversible modifications.

Im happy with it.

This was my findings after hours of trawling several site for hours doing my research. Cant believe they don't fit rollers on this priced item.

Damn I wish I had more money.... Back to trawling the Internet and the bay of E.

To buy the axminster bearing kit it would be extra cost i dont have as already pushed to the limit. May have to get one then save up for the kit.

I bought a secondhand Charnwood W730 a couple of years ago and it's been brilliant. I changed the bearings and fitted Tuffsaws blade and it's cut everything from 1/8" ply to 9" Oak and never missed a beat.

Basically, I found that the original bearings had far to much play. It's recommened to get a hairs width of distance between the blade and the bearing, and with the originals, as they pivot, it's impossible. Just too much slop.

It's very strange that they would produce that kind of design. Maybe there is some benefit to it that I am missing?

I had a similar problem plus the guides were not parallel, after contacting record and getting some replacement parts it transformed the guides. I’m now quite happy that the guides do a good job.

I’ve found adjusting the top side guides whilst the blade is running is a good way to get the best adjustment. Move each guide in until in just starts spinning and then back off until it stops. You now have a minimal clearance. Your hands are well away from the blade as the upper guides are on screw adjustments. The lower guides need to be done by manually spinning the blade.

Thanks again for all the advise. Now I just need to work out when to buy. I'm liking the idea of getting one at an event but not sure i can wait that long.... :)

transatlantic":2bqih1ze said:
I have the BS300. The bearings are pretty poor. I upgraded them with the axminster kit. But unfortunatley it does mean some irreversible modifications. Im happy with it.

Is this the kit you used and how easy to modify? At a glance the mounting is quite different to the sloppy BS300e

GrahamF":2clc8lym said:
transatlantic":2clc8lym said:
I have the BS300. The bearings are pretty poor. I upgraded them with the axminster kit. But unfortunatley it does mean some irreversible modifications. Im happy with it.

Is this the kit you used and how easy to modify? At a glance the mounting is quite different to the sloppy BS300e

I honestly can't remember now, I just know I had to cut some of the original pieces. Maybe it's avoidable, can't remember.

axminster-hbs350n-bandsaw-advice-t105064-105.html#p1195527

transatlantic":sp3ig8jb said:
GrahamF":sp3ig8jb said:
transatlantic":sp3ig8jb said:

I honestly can't remember now, I just know I had to cut some of the original pieces. Maybe it's avoidable, can't remember.

axminster-hbs350n-bandsaw-advice-t105064-105.html#p1195527

Thanks, when I spoke to Record, they said the Sabre comes with roller bearings but they can't supply a complete kit for mounting on other saws as they only stock selected replacement parts and, as it would need some of the guard cutting off (which many of us have done anyway), it has safety implications.

Just bought a Record bs350 for £450 so hope it is OK. It was the limit I was going to so happy to have it. Has the wheel kit with it as well. Next pay day a call to ian @ tuff I guess.

Thanks all again for the help in spending my money... Lol

Hope the table it not too big for my w/shop.

Latest posts

Back