About to start a big building project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Selwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
About to convert a barn for a dwelling and another barn for an office, wondering on the strategy to get the best price on supplies. any good online ones I should keep an eye on?

I've got a few accounts with builders merchants but have not done much with Wickes, tradepoint etc. - are they worth joining up to?

Where do you find you get the best prices? i'm finding wickes seem to be cheaper than my local merchant quite often.

Have a word with the branch managers of your builders merchants and tell them you're doing a self build / conversion with rough estimates of your requirements and they'll do you a deal.
Make sure you get confirmed discounts on all the big stuff, timber, blocks, bricks, sand, cement, plasterboards etc and then negotiate the other stuff as you need it.

These guys are well used to it and will see a short term bulk order potential. Push hard and play one against the other, it's your hard earned!

Bob

edit: You'll probably need to look at increasing your credit limit with them as well.

Go into your local wickes branch and ask to sign up for a trade account. It gives you at minimum 10% discount and often more.
Its well worth having providing you have a business.

Back