About time I joined

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeSav

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, thanks for letting me be a part of the ukworkshop community. I've (gratefully) found answers on many interesting threads on here over the last few years since realising that woodworking is my passion, and don't know why it's taken me so long to join!
I've experience milling and seasoning logs, mobile-milling (I no longer have the equipment for that), have converted my one car garage to a tiny workshop with bandsaw, planer thicknesser, mitre and track saws.
I have been on several short woodworking courses, read many books and watched endless youtube videos, so I've picked up a bit of handtool skill as well, but nothing to write home about. I'm starting an FdA in Furniture making next month at West Dean College - hopefully that will be a game changer for me! It will be mainly traditional handtool furniture making, with a view to going on to learn conservation, too.
I used to be a scaffolder, now I'm in my forties and want to work with
wood.
I'm halfway through making a two person dining table from some walnut I milled and seasoned, sorry for rubbish pictures.
Nice to meet you!

Attachments

• IMG_20220616_114209.jpg
    IMG_20220616_114209.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220626_120031.jpg
    IMG_20220626_120031.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220616_173606.jpg
    IMG_20220616_173606.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220616_114401.jpg
    IMG_20220616_114401.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Welcome - looks like a well executed project.
Thank you - it doesn't feel it, it's been going on for a couple of months now, I'm just winging it one step at a time whenever I can get in there. Not sure how strong the joints are going to be but hopefully strong enough 💪🏻 guess I won't know till the end, but will learn either way

Welcome. Lots of brownie points for opening with photos of a project. Don't worry about the photo quality, some folks on here I think are expert woodworkers and photographers, but some of us are happy if we keep our fingers off the lens.

Welcome. Lots of brownie points for opening with photos of a project. Don't worry about the photo quality, some folks on here I think are expert woodworkers and photographers, but some of us are happy if we keep our fingers off the lens.
Thank you for the welcome!
Yes, keeping my finger off the lense (and the woodworking equivalents) is all I need to feel like I'm winning some days

My eye is drawn to the painting around the socket on the first photo!

Interesting seeing square patches in the table top?

My eye is drawn to the painting around the socket on the first photo!

Interesting seeing square patches in the table top?
😂 Yes the walls are just thin ply with white paint slapped on top, one of those (1,000,000) jobs that didn't get finished and there's always something more 'important' to do first!
I saw that style of patching on Instagram by an (I think) American lady called Audi Culver of Siosi Design. Love the look of it, and she's been doing it for years so it must stay stable. I'd ask her, but with many thousand followers I'd be unlikely to get a reply!
This particular table will live with me, perhaps for many years, so I'll be able to see if there's a downside to the approach.

Audi Culver has an interesting site and it looks like she uses the patches for more than just defects.

I don't think I could ever get anything as neat as hers or yours :(

Audi Culver has an interesting site and it looks like she uses the patches for more than just defects.

I don't think I could ever get anything as neat as hers or yours :(
Mine aren't perfect - if the photos were clearer you'd see some clear imperfections.
It's all about the trying, right? 🙂

Hello, thanks for letting me be a part of the ukworkshop community. I've (gratefully) found answers on many interesting threads on here over the last few years since realising that woodworking is my passion, and don't know why it's taken me so long to join!
I've experience milling and seasoning logs, mobile-milling (I no longer have the equipment for that), have converted my one car garage to a tiny workshop with bandsaw, planer thicknesser, mitre and track saws.
I have been on several short woodworking courses, read many books and watched endless youtube videos, so I've picked up a bit of handtool skill as well, but nothing to write home about. I'm starting an FdA in Furniture making next month at West Dean College - hopefully that will be a game changer for me! It will be mainly traditional handtool furniture making, with a view to going on to learn conservation, too.
I used to be a scaffolder, now I'm in my forties and want to work with
wood.
I'm halfway through making a two person dining table from some walnut I milled and seasoned, sorry for rubbish pictures.
Nice to meet you!
Welcome to this exceptionally helpful forum supplied by wide ranging knowledgeable members, excluding me but if you ever need to know how many problems local authority officers can create if you ever wish to offer some land for a (47) self build plots for family homes"I'm your man".

Welcome to this exceptionally helpful forum supplied by wide ranging knowledgeable members, excluding me but if you ever need to know how many problems local authority officers can create if you ever wish to offer some land for a (47) self build plots for family homes"I'm your man".
😂 Thanks Quintain - I guess we all have our strengths!

Latest posts

Back